Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing Unfinished Patrol_Advice/Questions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Unfinished Patrol_Advice/Questions needed

Hello, I’m in the process of purchasing this bear hawk patrol. Any information you might have to pass on would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Below are some pictures and information.

Thank You,

Plan built Bearhawk Patrol.

Bob Barrows Engine
    180 HP Lycoming
    Zero Time
    Precision Carburetor
    Bendix Mags

Fuselage on Gear leg Built

Flaps Built no skin

Ailerons Built no skin

Fuel Tanks built

Tail section built no fabric

Windshield
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 20 photos.

Make sure the documentation is in order. Receipts for materials, hardware, engine and appliances. Make sure the alloys are correct. If you do not know good welding from bad, good sheet metal work from bad, find somebody that does. Take nothing for granted. Proceed carefully. Buying somebody else's work may have hidden risks. Is the landing gear alligned properly? Are the major assemblies straight and true. Hope you get a good one.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

Is that Ron Lawson's project?

Bill

Comment

Sorry to not follow up sooner, I’ve been busy with my sons graduation. I believe so, I’ve been talking with Lee Lawson.

Comment

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          I sent you a PM

I also looked at a partially built project before deciding I needed a less chaotic process for my first build. I ended up going with a new Avipro QB kit which I’m only a little way finished. From what I can see, it looks pretty good-much better than the project I was looking at (lots of factory stuff?). But Im too new at home building to be much help. I think it might be well worth a look if you are not too far away to make the transportation manageable and if you can get knowledgeable assistance.

I would STRONGLY echo others’ advice to have the project looked over really thoroughly. Not because it might be bad, or even as a go/no go determinant. I would have it looked at by someone who knows homebuilding, and who knows Bearhawks. I would do it because it will be safer, because it will give you confidence, and because it will save you time and money to know where you want to change things and where you want to keep moving. There could be really good ideas present that you want to keep or conversely, ones which you want to peel out and do over the “standard way” or a better way. Of course if you have an RV and a cub under your belt already, you might not experience the benefits a newbie like me would. The real challenge might be finding a BH expert near enough, but if you can, then do what you can to bring him along for the pre-buy.

Comment

To shed just a bit of light on this project; I knew Ron Lawson for at least 25 years. He built and flew an EZ Flier, Hummell, Rans S-6, Bearhawk LSA and probably a few others that I didn’t know about. In the ‘90s, a local fellow marketed and sold "ultralight ag spray planes". Most of these were sold outside the USA. Ron welded these fuselages, so he had experience with a torch. It’s my understanding that the materials, supplies and tools accompany the project. Ron's planes were safe and airworthy, but not award winners. He just liked flying them.

Ron was very badly injured in a motorcycle accident and, after a week of struggles, succumbed to his injuries. Otherwise, his Patrol would have flown.

As a courtesy to Ron's family and a potential buyer, I would be happy to answer what I can, or meet with a buyer at Ron's shop.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X