Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squeezers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeezers

Here's a couple of pictures of my rivet squeezer setups that I have been fabing, cutting and modifying for different projects for the last 20 years. My hands and wrists have suffered from computer use and I'm trying to limit my use of the rivet gun. These allow me to sit and set rivets using foot pressure with a minimum of fuss. Once the die setup is complete the results are very repeatable. It's a pain initially to get the right die setups for each material thickness, but after that it's clear sailing. I set the spars on roller stands and slide them back and forth. The squeezer with the deep throat will easily set a -5 rivet.
    Cheers
    Gerry
    Patrol #30
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 02-18-2021, 03:27 PM.

Great set up for spars!

Comment

I picked up this squeeze as a surplus item at Cessna. I haven't tried it out yet but plan to use it on spars when I get to that point.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
        Mark Goldberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Dam, that is a serious looking squeezer. Never seen anything that big and stout before. If you see Cessna auctioning things like this in the future that you think might be useful at the kit factory - please give me a heads up. Mark

• David Swartzendruber
        David Swartzendruber commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark, I had opportunity to bid on surplus items at Cessna when I was an employee there. I have since changed jobs and no longer have the same opportunity. Maybe we can work out something in the future for you to acquire this squeezer if you think it would be useful at the factory.

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like what you have was once a hot dimpleing machine that has had the heating equipment and controller stripped off of it. If it needs 1/4" shank dies, the Yard Store has them. Cool machine. Make sure you don't oil it, that will screw up the leather seals.
      Gerry
      Patrol #30
      Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 02-20-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Maybe I am missing something here. If I have a 500 lb squeezer, do I have to man-handle the wing/fuselage to fit the position of the squeezer? I am sure they are cool tools.

Comment

Small hand squeezers, bring the squeezer to the part. The stuff you see in this string, bring the part to the squeezer. Not easy when working with a big wet noodle like a 16' spar, but once you get it set up, it works liks a charm. And no impact to your arms. The key with any squeezer is to get the rivet square to the squeezer dies. The downside is they take up shop space, I'll sell all my stuff when I'm done with thus project.
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

Working...
          X