Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol wins prize in South Africa and surprises with its speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol wins prize in South Africa and surprises with its speed

Guys, here is a recent comment from our distributor in South Africa: From Wayne Giles, Bearhawk kit distributor in South Africa: We got back yesterday from our EAA National convention. The Patrol won the Concours d’ Elegance award. With over a hundred aircraft attending so this was a good achievement.
    When we flew back on our trip, I flew together with a friend of mine who was flying a Sai Machetti. I’m not sure if you are familiar with this aircraft Italian design retractable gear this version has a 180 hp engine like my Patrol.
    At 65 % power setting in the Patrol we were evenly matched he was at full throttle. At 70 % power on the patrol it would fly away from him. This is quite remarkable for a bush aircraft type.

It is truly unbelievable that a 180 HP Patrol could have a faster cruise speed than a retractable gear SF180. It just defies logic that a Sia Marchetti with a tiny little skinny wing for going fast and aerobatics would be slower than a Patrol with 8.50 tires, the landing gear, and wing struts hanging out in the breeze. Only explanation is Bob Barrows design skill. Mark

That's exciting to hear (read)! Makes me want to run out to the shop and finish covering a flap! Can't wait to fly one!!!

Bill

Comment

That's amazing! Great job, Bearhawk Patrol!
      Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 05-05-2016, 07:37 AM.
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I'm excited about the performance of the Patrol and think highly of the maturity of Bob's design approach, but seriously... what gives? If they really have the same power rating, there is something grossly suboptimal about the Italian plane or the configuration in which it's flying.
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Or extremely optimal concerning the Patrol. Mark

I can't find anything on the SF180?
        I note the Siai-Marchetti aircraft company produces a whole range of aircraft, from amphibs to jet trainers, to a STOL plane which looks a lot like a Bird Dog.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe the model has a different designation number. I have seen two of them in person. The better known model is the SF260 (Stelio Frati) which for a long time was known as the fastest piston single engine plane. I have flown in a SF260. The 180 is very similar except 180 HP. Also has C/S prop like the SF260. It is a two seat side by side model of Sia Marchetti. Mark

Probably an early falco

Comment

Hi Mark, he didn't say what the indicated and TAS were. Do you know? I'm also wondering if he has a controllable pitch prop? Now that I'm flying it, doesn't really surprise me!! It's been a long time since I had to manage my speed coming into the pattern. ;-) D.

P.S. and congrats to him on the award. "Concourse d' elegance"? Is that a fancy name for "great ramp appeal"? If not, the Patrol deserves one of those too!!

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
            Mark Goldberg commented
            Editing a comment
            According to some very extensive flight testing required in South Africa - Wayne see TAS of over 163-165 mph at 6,500 - 7,500 ft msl @ 75% power.. He has a 3 blade C/S MT prop.I think Wayne might have done some drag reduction inside his cowling as well. The award was for "best of show". Wayne builds a nice plane. He has been flying his LSA for about 6 weeks now, and is almost finished with all the testing. He says the LSA surprised him how "sweet flying" the little plane is. Everyone says that about the LSA that flies it. Mark
        Working...
        X