Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB - Completed Bearhawk 4-Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - Completed Bearhawk 4-Place

All - looking for a completed Bearhawk 4-place, or details from anyone who has built one on what goes into it? Was cautioned on buying a completed Bearhawk due to variability of the quality of the build...

Its never been on my radar to build a kit plane, but maybe if I knew more about what went into it?

Could you give me some idea of what goes into building the plane? Special skills involved (welding, rivoting, etc.)? What types of tools and space would I need to accomplish a build for this kit? Do folks typically rent out a hanger space somewhere and build from that?

Any leads on where I might find one completed, or be able to go fly one to feel it out would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a great place to start:
    https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...awk-start-here
    Will you be at Oshkosh?

Comment

Jared, thanks for the resource! Unfortunately, no. Im in the middle of a move and cant escape for the event...

Comment

IMO, if your not excited and motivated to build then don’t even try. Just keep watching for one and have cash ready.

zkelley2 did Gasman sell his?
        Last edited by whee; 07-23-2021, 05:52 PM.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• zkelley2
          zkelley2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes he did.

I’m building one in my shed from a quick-build kitset, with no prior experience. Probably many of us are similar in this regard where the project is driven more by passion than experience.

Welcome to take a look at my build log (link below) or videos and you’ll get an idea of what’s involved.

Build Log

Video Updates
        Last edited by Nev; 07-23-2021, 05:56 PM.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ
        Builders-log
        YouTube Bearhawk Blog

Comment

Can’t thank everyone enough for the insight and resources. Tech Manual review and wisdom shining through some of your voices has led me to the conclusion that I probably done want to go the builders route… which leads me to purchase… I know quality of build can vary drastically. Any insight out there for how to properly inspect one? Or is it smarter to buy something certified if I’m going this route?

Comment

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Owning an experimental is also different than certified. For the most part you'll need to plan on doing all the mx yourself. You'll need to research materials and how to fix it. Few a&ps will want to touch it.

If you want to just show up and fly and have little to do with it while you're not flying(call the mechanic when it's broke and not have to deal with it) go certified.
            If you don't mind turning the wrenches yourself then experimental can be a lot better than certified.

If I was looking to buy one built by someone else, I would get another Bearhawk builder to look over it for me. They would know exactly all the things to look for.

Its funny watching a fellow builder look at mine for example……..they zoom in on all the details with a very good eye, comparing different methods etc.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ
          Builders-log
          YouTube Bearhawk Blog

Comment

Working...
          X