Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N873GT First Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk 4-Place N873GT First Flight

4-place Bearhawk N873GT (s/n 877 plans built) received airworthiness certificate yesterday and made successful first flight this morning. So sweet! Flight lasted 0.8 hrs over the airport at 3500’, maintaining 2700 rpm at 70% power for ring seating. Max CHT was 360, max oil temp was 220. Full rich. Left wing was a bit heavy and it wanted just a little right rudder. Jared Yates’ transition training was a big help. Will pull cowling for a thorough going over of the engine prior to next flight.

Awesome. Congrats.

Comment

I want pictures! Tell us about your Four Place....engine size, prop choice, etc. When did you start it?
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Ray Strickland
        Ray Strickland commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll supply more info soon...

Congratulations Ray!
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

Ray,

congratulations on your completion and first flight. May each one be better yet!

Comment

Thanks, folks, for your encouragement. It has taken me about 24 hrs to come down from the adrenalin high of taking my 13-year project into the air. The 45 minute first flight was spent circling the airport at 3500’ MSL at 70% power to begin ring sealing while feeling the whole time it was all a dream. I am really looking forward to every hour of the flight test program. There are a few squawks to work through before the next flight: two small oil leaks, a slightly heavy left wing, and indicated airspeed that is too different from the GPS speed to ignore.

Although plans-built, I did take advantage from time to time of the work of others, beginning with wing ribs hammered out by my old friend Planter Bob (anyone remember him?). He was kind enough to pass his ribs on to me when he decided to give up flying. Then when Avipro began to make components available to guys like me, I did some time-saving by buying seat frames, fuel tanks, tail feathers, landing gear, and a few other smaller items. Without them, I’d still be building. My advice to would-be Bearhawkers is to buy the kit!

I bought a mid-time IO-360-A3B6D several years ago, did a top overhaul, mounted it upside down on blocks, and filled it to the brim with oil (6 gallons total!!!) to keep away the rust until time to bolt her to the fuselage. Both the engine-driven fuel pump and the Bendix fuel servo were overhauled. I removed the ignition system and installed a dual Lightspeed system similar to the one I’ve used for 14 years on my Maranda. I have a dual electrical system: the main half uses a 70 amp Plane Power alternator; the auxiliary half runs on a SD-8. Each half includes an Odyssey PC545 battery. The two batteries are energized together to power the lightweight starter. Either bus can be selected to power ignition, instrument master, or avionics master. Lights and boost pump are reserved for the main bus.

Panel includes Dynon D-60, Grand Rapids Tech engine info system, dual MicroAir 760 coms, Sigtronics intercom, Stratus ESG ADS-B out, portable Stratus 2S ADS-B in with WiFi connection to an IPad mini display, plus a digital volt/amp meter for each bus. There is a wig-wag LED landing light and an old tech wing tip strobe/nav/position system. I was absolutely amazed when electrical checkout revealed only two mis-connections.

The Hartzell prop has overhauled 80 inch blades, a new non-AD hub, and a new Hartzell controller.

On Bob’s recommendation I used 8:00x6 tires. Wheels are Grove as are the double-puck brakes. Tailwheel unit is a “Bob wheel” built by Eric Newton.

Throughout the long build I have become deeply indebted to many neighbors who have given a hand, helped ponder technical questions, stopped by to check in, etc. I have leaned heavily on the local airport shop A&P/IA (a 17-year MAF pilot in the S. Pacific) who never wavered in helping me to work through problems, challenges, and decisions. His only complaint has been recurrent, “You get to work with shiny, new, and clean parts; I have to work on planes that are dirty, oily, greasy....” But most valuable has been my loving wife of 47 years who gave me the freedom and kept encouraging me to see it through, even as she donned the ear protectors and picked up the rivet gun, again and again; or stopped what she was doing to help me with innumerable tasks that would have been impossible without four hands. I am a lucky man.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Very nice work Ray and good to hear the flight was a success. Congratulations!
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Very nice looking plane Ray. You deserve much credit for sticking to it and completing scratch build. More man than me for sure.

My experience would indicate that bad airspeed reading is static systen. Not pitot. Best of luck. May you enjoy your BH for many happy years. Mark

Comment

• Ray Strickland
                Ray Strickland commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Mark. I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but when I did the true airspeed calculation it came out within 1 mph of the GPS speed...duh!

Congrats Ray on all your hard work and dedication

Comment

Working...
              X