Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N454BW Flies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple days ago an friend and I headed to central Idaho for breakfast; he in his 180hp straight tail 172 and me in the BH. He had a pilot friend in town and wanted to do some flying so we opted to try out the Flying B for breakfast. The flight over took a bit almost 1.5hrs thought some great country. We saw Mountain Goats, Antelope, Deer and some of the most beautiful views of a few different mountain ranges. Unfortunately we flipped our raft last week and I drowned my phone. The old point and shoot camera took with me isn't as convenient to use and I discovered later on the lens is trashed on it...

Anyways, here is a few pics.

By buddies 172 beat in me speed by 5mph but he had to stop for fuel on his way home so I beat him by a solid hour. It also motivated me to get my airframe cleaned up. In cruise on this trip I burned ~8gph at 125mph. After my friend stoped for fuel I decided to try LOP again since we had rearranged the fuel injectors in attempt to even things out. Looks like it runs pretty well LOP; good enough but still not great. I lost 4mph but went from 8gph to 6.5gph.

Last edited by whee; 08-02-2019, 12:41 PM.
    I'm a Tapatalk user so I can't see your "comment"

Comment

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Super pics Whee, Thanks!

Comment

Remind me again... You have the O-540? That's a remarkable fuel burn!

At OSH I attended a few of Mike Busch's talks. He is very committed to flying at full MP and adjust the RPM's only. Over Squared. He adjusts the mixture quickly from full rich to full lean. He calls it the "big pull" and says any amount of time hesitating between full rich and full lean puts you in the high detonation zone.
          Rob Caldwell, EAA Chapter 309
          Davidson, North Carolina
          BH Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          Build Log: https://bearhawk4place.blogspot.com/

Comment

Busch is only referring to fuel injection when he talk that procedure. When running Lean, we need to be in the 30-40deg lean of peak. When running rich, we must be minimum 150deg rich of peak. All of this only matters at or above 75% power. The danger zone get smaller and smaller very quickly as you reduce power. At 65% and below, you can do whatever you want with the mixture knob as long as you control CHT’s

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
              Remind me again... You have the O-540? That's a remarkable fuel burn!

At OSH I attended a few of Mike Busch's talks. He is very committed to flying at full MP and adjust the RPM's only. Over Squared. He adjusts the mixture quickly from full rich to full lean. He calls it the "big pull" and says any amount of time hesitating between full rich and full lean puts you in the high detonation zone.
              I have a Continental IO-360 (210hp).

Unless I’m loafing around I always run a WOT and set the RPM for whatever power setting I’m looking for. So far it seems this engine/prop combo likes 2350rpm in cruise. At the altitudes I have to fly around here it’s hard to run “over square.” Take the pic I posted above as an example; is getting about 19” at WOT which exceeds the what the performance charts say I should be getting at that altitude. Still, I would like like to figure a system to get a little extra like Battson has on his plane. At my cruise elevations I’m usually close to 65% power, frequently even less.
              Last edited by whee; 08-03-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
                Took my sister and brother-in-law to central Idaho for a day of fishing. Was a fantastic day full of fish and hanging out on my favorite river.

Landing video is all I got so far.

Here is the takeoff video from this trip. Performance appears to be quite lousy but note the DA was pretty high (7200msl) and we had unstable wind conditions.

Comment

Been busy around my place and the plane is down for some work/adjustments so no flying. Before we took it down I took the whole family for a ride. This moment is what my entire build was for.

Comment

• AKKen07
                    AKKen07 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is wonderful!

• robcaldwell
                    robcaldwell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What a great looking family!

Yes!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
                    Been busy around my place and the plane is down for some work/adjustments so no flying. Before we took it down I took the whole family for a ride. This moment is what my entire build was for.
                    Sent this pic to my wife (she’s already on board, but hesitant still). It moved her a little more into the dream with me, so thanks for sharing! Great family picture!
                    John Wiltberger
                    Model B - #1544B
                    Maricopa, AZ

Comment

Great pic Jon. Congratulations. Everyone has a big smile. Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X