Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N842PT completed May, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk Patrol N842PT completed May, 2022

My new Bearhawk Patrol N842PT is based at Keene NH.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Beautiful airplane!

Comment

Congrats! Looks great
      N678C
      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Congratulations! Great looking Patrol!
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Congratulations! Great looking plane!

Comment

Very nice Patrol! Only one picture though? (Asking for a friend) You are teasing us. Great job. Looking forward to the “flight report” too.

Comment

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              Is it fuel injected?

• PLTemple
              PLTemple commented
              Editing a comment
              No, it is not fuel injected. It is an O-360 with a MS carburetor MS 4-5.

• jaredyates
              jaredyates commented
              Editing a comment
              How interesting, any odds of vapor lock due to fuel getting hot in a line at the reduced GPH? Or maybe something related to getting out of the economizer circuit?

Beautiful! Love the paint scheme. Nice work.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Very nice airplane.
              Scott Ahrens
              Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Congratulations! Looks very nice!

Comment

The engine stumbling problem seems to mostly happen when reducing power from full throttle to a high cruise setting, say around 2500 or 2400 rpm, with my fixed pitch Whirlwind prop. It has been short duration, for just a few seconds, and then smooths out. It happens so quickly that that your body goes forward in the seat, and then the engine surges up again, and repeats a few times, about one cycle every second. It's as if you were in a car and someone alternately tapped the brakes and the gas, very quickly. Don't think it's vapor lock. When I try to reproduce it at altitude, it doesn't do it every time. I have a full display of CHTs and EGTs on the Dynon, and don't see that one or two cylinders have a problem. But it happens so quickly that you probably wouldn't see anything on the temperatures, or even the digital tach. Could this be a carburetor problem? Because it is not consistently happening every time, it is hard to diagnose. We tried running on just left mag, and then on just right mag, and at first we thought it happened more on the left mag. But we can't reproduce the problem easily running on just one mag, because I cannot go to full throttle on one mag without the engine popping and backfiring.

We had an earlier problem with the left mag, as it was not working at all on the first engine start up, and that resulted in a broken ring gear when the Right mag kicked in upon releasing the key from the Start position back to Both. We had to send the Left mag back to Bob Barrows for to get fixed. Both mags now seem ok on the pre-takeoff run-up, and the drops are normal at 1800 rpm.
                  Last edited by PLTemple; 07-20-2022, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• robcaldwell
                    robcaldwell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    https://www.savvyaviation.com/ has a subscription service that allows you to upload your engine monitoring data and they will analyze. I used the service every few hours during my phase 1 and engine break in period. It's amazing what they can find.

I would get that carburetor checked out- these have had Venturii come loose- seen it a couple times

Comment

RobCaldwell, thank you for that information.

Comment

• Nev
                      Nev commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What Rob said. (I use the Savvy service too). Even if you don't subscribe, the free account allows you to analyze your own data. But I think they'd identify the issue very quickly for you.

After 7 years, my Bearhawk has finally taken to the air. 2 flights, 2.4 hours and i absolutely love it. I am so looking forward to learning everything about this awesome plane. It is powered by a Lycoming O360. hartzell 8475 constant speed propeller. Lots to learn! Many thanks to everyone for all the help over the years. And especially, Rob Caldwell, for the awesome paint scheme. I absolutely loved it the first time i seen the concept online!
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 3 photos.
                    Last edited by jaredyates; 09-04-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Congratulations and that is a beautiful airplane!!

Comment

Thank you Carl! It's been a lot of sweat and tears(lol) and it is so nice to have it complete. At many times through the years I would question why? Now I know!!

Comment

Working...
                      X