Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's try this: The Mystery of the Stiff Rudder and Red Herrings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am installing grease fittings for the hinges on the elevator and rudder.

Getting grease into the joint is easy enough but with a grease fitting, you can force the grease in with enough pressure to expel the old grease and any dirt that is in the hinge joint.
    Last edited by S Lathrop; 09-06-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S Lathrop View Post
      I have am installing grease fittings for the hinges on the elevator and rudder.

Getting grease into the joint is easy enough but with a grease fitting, you can force the grease in with enough pressure to expel the old grease and any dirt that is in the hinge joint.
      The only problem I have encountered with this approach (I do the same with the bare hole and a syringe) is in hot weather. The rusty grease tends to lose viscosity and run down the control surface, leaving a brown trail behind.

So I try to inject enough grease to flush out the rusty stuff, and then to wipe away the excess regularly.

Comment

I don't want to hijack your thread here, but I don't feel like it's worth starting a new thread for.
        I was wondering after this post about the hinge design. It appears that one has to install these hinges on the rudder assembly during the construction of the rudder, and I was wondering what kind of life this hinge style has. Surely this style has been used on previous production aircraft. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of how this design holds up long term? I'd be concerned about the wear and inability to re-bush the hinges or replace bearings down the road a few thousand hours or a couple decades. I know it's an experimental so we could do whatever type of hinge we want I suppose, but that's not the point here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          Provided you keep the hinge filled with grease, it should last indefinitely.

If grease is getting too limp in hot summer--- try lubriplate. It is spcificly designed for control surface lube -- so as not to freeze at high altitude
        or run away at high temps. There are a bunch of different versions of lubriplate--- ask arround at an FBO that services jets and ask which lubriplate
        they use for elevator and rudder hinges.
        For those of you using a grease fitting--- is there a tiny miniature style of fitting ? I guess you would have to weld some kind of boss onto the side of the tubing to tap for the grease fitting-
        Never thought about how small grease fittings come----
        Tim

Comment

Fairchild,
          Check out the following threads found in search:

https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...-tube-bearings

https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/too...nd-flap-hinges

Comment

Working...
          X