Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aileron carry-through cable wear (worn out)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aileron carry-through cable wear (worn out)

Hi everyone,

At our 500hr check, we identified that the aileron carry-through cable has been wearing out. It rubs on the inner-most rib of the wing (the double-rib) where it passes through a small hole in the rib.

I thought about upsizing that hole during the build, I now reget leaving it small. Builders may like to increase that hole to at least greater than the typical 1/2" diameter.

I think I bolted a nylon wear plate to the rib to protect the rib and cable.

Comment

That's a good idea.
      Some of my nylon fairleads caused my rudder cables to wear out, so I am in two minds about nylon vs. control cable right now.

Comment

I didn't like the looks of the cable passing through the small holes so I made some small nylon fairleads. I left a small groove with my parting tool then used it to wrap safety wire to keep them in place, I think it took 3 wraps to fill the groove? I'll attach a couple pics. sm fairlead1.jpgsm fairlead2.jpg

Comment

Was this a stainless or galvanized cable?

Comment

This is a stainless steel cable, 19x7 cores, and it will be replaced with galvanized cable of the same spec.

Comment

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the ailerons are usually the most time-consuming system to rig. When rigging the ailerons, a long, straight piece of metal, about the size of a yardstick, is first placed across the tops of the control wheels and secured in place to keep the wheels neutralized together.

turnkey pcb assembly
              Last edited by JaseSerre; 03-01-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Control wheel? What's that?
                Last edited by marcusofcotton; 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X