Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk tail wheel maintenance - steering seizes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk tail wheel maintenance - steering seizes

Hi guys - I recently noticed our tail wheel steering was stiff, not steering smoothly either, kinda jerky. I didn't think too much of it.

Weeks later, I found that it suddenly became pretty hard to control the plane with a heavy load aboard, when taxiing or landing. It was controllable, but a decent crosswind would have made it fairly nasty to handle. It required constant re-corrections, big pedal inputs, to keep it straight.

I had given the tail wheel parts a good clean and lubricate several years ago, and it has been a couple of hundred Hobbs hours since then too. Cleaning every part, removing all the old grease, and re-lubricating from scratch returned the tail wheel to original operational condition.

There was a fair bit of black / grey grit in the barrel, and the grease was pretty dry. Some areas the grease had dried to a hard scale. The brass bushing was a little scored from rubbing, and the underside of the retaining cap on top was starting to corrode. But no lasting damage, good lubrication has made it as good as new.

Thanks for posting, Battson. You're so far ahead of most of us, and we all appreciate your "maintenance tips" that you provide from time to time, based on your experience. Thanks!
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    Patrol Quick-Build Serial # P312

Comment

It seems I have to do this at least once a year... it sounds like yours held up well for that long!

Comment

I live on a grass strip. I clean and lube tail gear at each oil change . Stinger

Comment

An annual clean and lube is the standard on my Alaskan Bushwheel as well, part of the tail dragged scene.

Comment

Sounds like everyone else knew to lube that tailwheel, which is great.
            I have a pretty extensive maintenance plan written up, but I did not think of that.

Comment

Originally posted by JimParker256 View Post
              Thanks for posting, Battson. You're so far ahead of most of us, and we all appreciate your "maintenance tips" that you provide from time to time, based on your experience. Thanks!
              Kind words Jim - I see it like a "circle of life". Or maybe just a Bearhawk building lifecycle. When I started out, there were a host of big names in the community who I looked up to - still do.
              Eric, Mike, Georg, Pat, Dave, Dan, John, Jan, Jim, Robbie but I shouldn't name names because I am going to forget so many people!!

Comment

Working...
              X