Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking Your Scott/ABW Tailwheels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Your Scott/ABW Tailwheels

If your plane has a Scott 3200 or its ABW equivalent tailwheel, when it is in its locked state, a spring rests in a pair of notches on either side of the steering arm assembly (circled in red) keeping the steering arm engaged with the wheel fork. When the tailwheel reaches the end of its locked swivel range, a pawl (outlined in blue and in the second photo), which has a rounded inside edge, presses in on the spring, pushing it inward toward the center of the pivot point. This unlatches the lock in that direction, allowing the tailwheel to swivel freely.

01B64211-8F60-4DF2-BE7C-1D9235C96687.jpegBE0BE215-4EC3-4E42-83EF-6CC9388848BB.jpeg

When you’re positioning your plane on the ground, it’s not uncommon to push the plane backwards into position. This usually unlocks the tailwheel and it swivels around in reverse while you’re moving it. Be sure, however, to straighten the tailwheel and move it back to its locked position when you have reached your final parking spot. Extended periods of time in the unlocked position will cause a set in the lock spring and it won’t fully spring back into the locked position.

Having a locking tailwheel come unlocked on landing or taxi during a heavy crosswind can lead to a RLOC situation, and that’s no fun!
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 07-15-2018, 09:09 PM.
    ​Christopher Owens, EAA #808438
    Project "Expedition"
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans #991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans #P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Chris, although I do not have that type tailwheel, good info and thanks for sharing. It's late in the day here and a HOT 92 degrees on the hill, which is causing my brain to not work as well---but what the heck is RLOC?? If it's not any fun, then I want to avoid it, but I don't know what "it" is. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl1 View Post
      Chris, although I do not have that type tailwheel, good info and thanks for sharing. It's late in the day here and a HOT 92 degrees on the hill, which is causing my brain to not work as well---but what the heck is RLOC?? If it's not any fun, then I want to avoid it, but I don't know what "it" is. ;-)
      Runway Loss of Control
      ​Christopher Owens, EAA #808438
      Project "Expedition"
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans #991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans #P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Flygirl1
        Flygirl1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Your right--not much fun!!
    Working...