Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Greetings, We are making big plans to attend 2023 SUN n FUN !!
    Yesterday I completed the fitting & tacking stage on my BH5 lower frame. I used a hydraulic bender to make the bends up to the tail section. Drilled #20 communication holes between every tube on both ends. Through a quick down hand MIG pass on the covered sides of each joint. Everything went really smoothly. With a close inspection you may be able to pick out some mods. Starting the upper frame today & Looking forward to the end of March.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 7 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Hey ya all, 2023 is almost here & I am not flying my BearHawk as planned back in July of 2020. All though it has been a good year for being evolved in aviation. I got distracted with the purchase of a Mustang 2. Of course the mustang needed work so I had to get that done & then learn to fly it 18hrs & 105 lands & take offs now. My 1st conventional gear airplane, it lands at 80mph 60% power. You land it like your trapping on a aircraft carrier. Needless to say I now consider myself a fully checked out tail wheel pilot. However always room for improvement. The BH Model B wings are both very close to completion now. I really want to make the BH a priority. I am getting set up to fit & weld the fuselage. Being a welder by trade this is very much my wheel house. Posted some pictures of my ailerons & flaps mounted on the LH wing. I was pleased with the trailing edges lining up nearly perfectly. Bob sure did a good job of the wings prints. Follow his measurements & all works out great. Ok that is it for my rambling. C ya sometime. Cheers
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    I was also going to say that in one of my pictures there is a 4ft level on top of the wing. You can use that as a measuring stick to verify how big those tip really are.

• kestrel
    commented on 's reply
    Cool! For comparison, my original round (alpha?) 4 place tips add about ~7 1/2 inches to the side span per side. That would make your tips 10+ inches per side longer. The Hoerner tip is also a superior shape to the stock round ones.

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    For confirmation & clarity ..lol
    I have never seen a stock tip. So I can not speak to that. However, Yes they add full 18" measured at the leading edge. Not counting the engagement onto the wing. So that is a full 36" to the overall wing span.
    Last edited by Sir Newton; 11-16-2022, 10:59 AM.

• kestrel
    replied
    For confirmation and clarity. Do they add 18" per side more than the stock tips? Is the total wingspan 3 feet longer than with the stock tips? They don't look that long.

Other possibilities are that they extend 18" beyond the bare wing or they are 18" long but don't quite extend the span from the bare tip that far because there is overlap on the tip rib.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    commented on 's reply
    Yes they do. All off 18"
    My photos do not do them justice.

• Hewko
    replied
    Nice! Do they add 18 inches per side?

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Good day! to the good members of the Bearhawk community. Allow me to post a product review for Carbon Concepts mobel B wing tips. I recieved my wing tips in good order. The fit & finish on the workmanship is 100% The tips come all trimmed up in light grey primer ready to be installed. The trailing edge of the tip is left open to allow a prefect fit to the wing. I happened to have a wing up on fab stands for a quick test fit. The fit is 100% imho. Have a look at the attached photos.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sir Newton; 11-14-2022, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• way_up_north
    commented on 's reply
    tis a thing of beauty

• rodsmith
    commented on 's reply
    Great looking wings

• Nev
    replied
    Fantastic progress !

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Fellow builders, I have had a very exciting spring & summer this year. The BH5 project has not taken the back seat completely. I am sure to schedule time every week to get something completed. This helps me stay current on the project. Both my wings are out of the riveting jig now. All the linkages & ail/flap hinges have been fit up. Now I am ready to final fit flaps & ailerons to the wings. Make any adjustments that may need to be made. So the wings & control surfaces look professionally biult & fit.
    If anyone is planning Abbotsford Airshow 2022 & would like to meet up. I will be on site for the weekend. Cheers to all. May all your winds be tailwinds.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Newton
    replied
    Greetings, Long time no posting. Did I ever get distracted from posting. I am still working on the BH5 at least 5-15 hrs per week. However I am sharing a picture of my distraction. I got a little drinkie with some of the older pilots on the airfield. & by the end of the evening I bought a Mustang 2 ... lol, Anyways, Now I am flying around in the solution to my next mid life crisis. Rotflol.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• way_up_north
    commented on 's reply
    I was taking a close look at this spot on my plans… on mine there is spot at the top of the one.. but much lighter… on my plans it looks like a “1” and not a “7”

If my plans looked like yours I would have seen a “7”…. Thank you for bringing to our attention
Working...
X