Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lighting hole dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting hole dimensions

I’m sure I’m missing something here but I’ll ask anyway. I got my plans today #5027 and started building the form block for the nose rib. I’m looking at the plans and the lighting holes are marked with letters. In the case of the nose rib they are E and F. I’m guessing there is a dimension somewhere I’m missing but in the past two hours of going through these plans I’m not finding any sizes for these holes. Where can I find them?

Congrats on your new plans Alan! For the Patrol I scaled the drawing. The lightning hole diameters don't matter too much but the important thing is that when flanged you have enough flat space between them for the stiffener.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      I’m sure I’m missing something here but I’ll ask anyway. I got my plans today #5027 and started building the form block for the nose rib. I’m looking at the plans and the lighting holes are marked with letters. In the case of the nose rib they are E and F. I’m guessing there is a dimension somewhere I’m missing but in the past two hours of going through these plans I’m not finding any sizes for these holes. Where can I find them?
      Welcome to the forum...

I’ve been lifting dimensions right off the plans....but there is a way to cheat a little(tip from desert Bearhawk )... it’s half scale on that page... so measure it in millimeters... and double it... easy fast and hard to make an error

I used digital calipers to lift the dimension and a ruler to lay it down ...as the other post mentioned... keep in mind the stiffener needs a flat area between the holes so keep an eye on how much you flange those holes

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        You should invest in a simple set of engineering scales. It makes it really easy. Most of the drawings are scaled and are noted on the individual page. With a set of engineering scales you can simply match the drawing scale to the ruler scale and read the dimension right off the scale. Less chance to make a mistake having to do the math. Many of the dimensions are not called out and have to be read off the plans directly with engineering scales. They are not expensive. Here is one from amazon:

John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

• Chewie
          Chewie commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi John! Been a while.
      Working...
      X