Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walkaround Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkaround Video

Here is the link for the walk around video for the Bearhawk Five:

Last edited by jaredyates; 05-22-2020, 03:57 PM.

Excellent video with great information, thanks for the effort to do this.

Comment

Thanks very much for the walk around video Jared and Colin. The airplane looks great, fantastic build quality with a very professional look to the design. I'm new to the forums, discovered the Bearhawk at OSH last year. I went to look at mostly two place taildraggers like the Highlander, Carbon Cub and several others. Once I saw the Sorenson Bearhawk 4 Place, my whole thought process changed and we eventually decided that was the way to go. Now, the Five is just icing on the cake and the clear winner for me!

Mark had mentioned in another thread that there would likely be some tweaks to the design. The only thing I would like to suggest is the shape of the tail. As someone new to the Bearhawk, the original tail shape is gorgeous and it's part of the Bearhawk look/brand to me. I realize it had to be made bigger, here's hoping Bob can retain the original shape and angled rudder horn. I attached a side by side view to compare Battson's tail to the new one.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

At 3:00 Colin starts to talk about the cowl/fuel servo and the K&N filter. I've had my eye on an intake designs for the Patrol. I've looked around on various sights. Nothing I've seen is as simple......so simple. I think removing the cowl penetration of of the air filter assembly might improve cruise up to 5 kts.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-22-2020, 06:59 PM.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Simplicity is a destination that is far down the road past the easy solutions, but Bob seems to know the road well.

Jared;
        Is there any kind of shroud around the air filter? Or just the round inlet impinging directly on the filter?

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Collin, my best answer was "I don't know, let's ask Collin"!

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, interesting solution for alt air.

• AKKen07
          AKKen07 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just what I was looking for! Collin, do you think this could be adapted to the 4 place? So do I understand right that there is a rigid connection from nose bowl to filter housing with the flexible foam between housing and Bob part? It looks Great!
          Last edited by AKKen07; 05-25-2020, 04:41 PM.

Originally posted by jetdriver View Post
        Mark had mentioned in another thread that there would likely be some tweaks to the design. The only thing I would like to suggest is the shape of the tail. As someone new to the Bearhawk, the original tail shape is gorgeous and it's part of the Bearhawk look/brand to me. I realize it had to be made bigger, here's hoping Bob can retain the original shape and angled rudder horn. I attached a side by side view to compare Battson's tail to the new one.
        I agree. I gagged a little when I saw that squared off tail.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I just asked Bob about the shape of the vert stab, and I mentioned that some of you didn't like the look so much. He responded that having the higher vert stab means a better aspect ratio and increased yaw stability. The tubing for the vert stab and control surfaces is 1" rather than 7/8". That is needed for the higher forces of the increased area.

So Bob thinks there is a good reason for the vert stab to look like it does. Mark

Comment

I watched the video again and noticed in the still shots of the engine uncowled that it has cold air induction. Appears to come that way from the factory. Who built the exhaust system?
            Last edited by rodsmith; 05-25-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Clint at Vetterman Exhaust
          Working...
          X