Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 5 excess lead weight in elevators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5 excess lead weight in elevators

The factory has been putting too much lead in the elevators of the Model 5 kits. Those of you with kits will need to drill some out. Somewhere around 1/2 lb. But you need to balance your elevators properly and determine how much lead needs to come out.

What happened was a stupid mistake on my part. The Model B uses a certain amount of lead that seems to be close to what is needed. Since the tail surfaces are bigger on the Model 5 - I assumed a similar amount of lead would be needed. However, the Model 5 elevators have that part extended much further forward from the elevator than on the B Model. So in fact less lead weight was needed. So my instructions to the factory caused this.

Hopefully you guys read this before you cover. Although the fix even after cover is not too painful. Mark

Fixed! My recent BH 5 Kit only required a little bit of additional lead to balance.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this info Elliot. Sounds like the amount of elevator lead in the most recent Model 5 kits is about right. Mark
Working...
X