Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plans in hand for Bearhawk “B” 4 place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans in hand for Bearhawk “B” 4 place

I am reading over the plans and getting my work area in order to start on the fuselage. Next step will be ordering the tubing kit. As I’m looking over these plans I see that some measurements are given and some are not. This will be my first build so any help along the way would be much appreciated. Look forward to talking with everyone.

T.J.

The key measurements are there. The remainder are typically either extrapolated or measured with a scale.

If you have any questions about a specific measurement, feel free to ask. We’re happy to assist!

Chris
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I see what you are saying now. After looking at 17B,18B, and 19B they are making sense now. Let me ask this, what about cockpit width? Has anyone gone wider than 42”?

Comment

I’ve been thinking about it. When I talked to Bob about it a while back, he mentioned it changes a few things, like the spar carry through for example. Since the distance increases, the buckling characteristics of the tube changes and has to be accounted for. It also affects landing gear geometry, etc. One things leads to another and another and another... 😁
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Yeah that’s too much to worry with. I’ll just get a big shoe horn and squeeze in my wide passengers. I was thinking about 46-47” would be perfect.

Comment

And that’s why I’m building a Patrol... A 31-Micheal wide cockpit for just me feels positively spacious, and a 42” cockpit with two of “me” in there is absolutely cramped. (Besides, the Walter Mitty in me likes the centerline seating...)
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. Frederick View Post
              Yeah that’s too much to worry with. I’ll just get a big shoe horn and squeeze in my wide passengers. I was thinking about 46-47” would be perfect.
              I'm with Jim, 31" across per person on the patrol is hard to beat.

Is that your rat rod behind you?
              Mark
              Scratch building Patrol #275
              Hood River, OR

Comment

• T.J. Frederick
                T.J. Frederick commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah that’s my 49 Ford rat I built. I needed a new project and figured why not build a Bearhawk.

• T.J. Frederick
                T.J. Frederick commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Bill

• Chewie
                Chewie commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe there's a "rathawk" in your future!

I flew a Luscombe for 10yrs...42" is spacious. A Cessna 180 is only 40" and a C206 is 44". 47" would give enough room for a stewardess and a beverage cart😁
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I’m 6’1 240 with 30” across the shoulders. The more room the better!
                Last edited by T.J. Frederick; 12-07-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X