Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting to gather supplies for the 4 place B in NW Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to gather supplies for the 4 place B in NW Washington

I am a private pilot and Navy avionics tech living in the NW corner of Washington State. I fly anything I can get my hands on for cheaper hours. Currently gathering supplies and tools to start building the 4 place B model from plans, no quick build kits. I may have to cheat and get the pre bent large break pieces if I can't find someone that has one pretty soon.

Hello Erik. After reading your comment about it being "cheating" to buy some parts from us - I am having trouble resisting responding.

Question for you - have you ever scratch built an airplane before? Do you really know how much work it is?

Making everything yourself is certainly possible and if you intend to go that route I wish you all the luck in the world. However, it is possible you might feel differently in a year or two. Mark

Comment

• Erik
      Erik commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Mark, and others commenting on the same topic. I suppose cheating was a poor choice of words as I don't discount the craftsmanship that goes into these kits or others and am looking at other kit planes for future endeavors. I just really want the full experience with this one and time is something I am willing to spend on that. No I have not single-handedly scratch built an aircraft. However, I did work at the American Champion Aircraft facility in multiple processes. I also have a very handy family consisting of a professional welder, an A&P mechanic, and multiple miltary aircraft maintainers across various disciplines. Through quite a bit of volunteer work at Oshkosh and at other aviation museums, work history in aircraft production, and current employment in Naval aviation, I think I have a pretty good idea of what it will entail to complete this job. So again, I meant no offense by my poor wordage. I realize that could be turned around easily on me by saying a welding family member is cheating too. We will see how the path of complete scratch building goes and I am not closed off to the idea of purchasing down the road. I just wanna give it an honest try with as little of that as possible first.

Eric,
    i agree completely with Mark. I have bought some parts from him and made some parts. Speeds up the project dramatically. Also I do plan on buying his fuselage already built. I love working with aluminum but not so much with steel
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

• Erik
      Erik commented
      Editing a comment
      John, I've been studying your rib forming videos quite a bit as I get ready to start building. Did you use normal MDF for your forms or HDF? And what thickness did you go with on those? I really like the set-up you had for forming the smaller flanges on the press too. I was going to ask about the air upgrade you made to that, but if you're right down the road in Arlington, maybe I could twist your arm into letting me stop by your shop sometime.

Buy the rib and spar channel package. There's plenty of airplane left to display your craftsmanship.
    Gerry
    Edgewood, WA
    Patrol #30

Comment

I bought the completed spars, formed ribs, seats, and landing gear from Mark. Spectacular workmanship and it saved me at least a couple of years of work. That being said, I really, REALLY wish I had the money at the time to get the full quickbuild kit. It is more than worth the $$$, trust me.
      -------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Im also in the Navy and moving to the PNW in a couple of weeks, where are you located?

Comment

• Erik
          Erik commented
          Editing a comment
          Stationed at NAS Whidbey Island with VAQ-142 (Gray Wolves), I'll be living in the base area again shortly as we get into our workup schedule for next deployment. I frequent the Bremerton area to fly at Bremerton National and visit friends, Everett is a close drive too. If you have any questions about the area let me know.

If you are at Whidbey I am right up the road in Bellingham. If you ever want to have a look at how things are done on a kit, you are welcome. As a disclaimer, you will have to be able to tolerate a former Jarhead.

Comment

• Erik
          Erik commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

I am stationed at Whidbey but currently living in Bellingham. I'll be moving back down to Whidbey soon, but am in Bellingham often for all kinds of things. I'd love to come by and take a look.

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
        If you are at Whidbey I am right up the road in Bellingham. If you ever want to have a look at how things are done on a kit, you are welcome. As a disclaimer, you will have to be able to tolerate a former Jarhead.
        Are you building a Patrol or a 4 place? If that offer is open to everyone?

Comment

4 place QB kit. I am out of town for another month or so. Everyone welcome.

Comment

I purchased the quickbuild kit, it was the best option for me. I have never built from scratch and time was a concern. The quality of the kits and resale value also entered my mind. Best of luck in your building process.

Comment

Working...
            X