Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Interested Canadian Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Interested Canadian Pilot

Greetings to the board.
    My name is Nathan from Alberta Canada. Currently flying a PA-28-140 under the TC owner maintenance provision in Canada. I am researching various kit planes with the sole purpose of building a Float Plane. The BearHawk is looking like the smartest path forward. Happy to be here everyone. My favorite subject is anything about airplanes, contact welcome.
    Last edited by Sir Newton; 08-21-2020, 02:01 PM.

Welcome to the bearhawk community Nathan. I am hopefully starting on a Bearhawk Lsa this winter if I get my shop finished. I am in Saskatchewan but just across the border from medicine hat.

Where are you at in Alberta? Which model are you thinking? They are all awesome and well suited to floats. I researched homebuilt options starting when I was 10. I'm 30 now and the Bearhawk is my favorite by far.

There is a Canadian rep for bearhawk, Mike Silvernagle. He will likely say hi on here, but give him a call if not.

Derek

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      Derek, Maple Creek? My family camped there every year when I was a younger man. Early forties now. Grew up on a Saskatchewan farm in the Glenavon area. It is a pleasure to meet you.
      Last edited by Sir Newton; 08-21-2020, 12:19 PM.

Welcome to the forum Nathan. A good group of builders and BH flyers here that will be a resource for you when you build. Mark

Comment

Thanks guys, BH4 or 5, I am favoring the 5. cyqu is where I hail from. I have spoke with Mike & Mark over the phone, really helpful guy with every question I had to ask about the BH.
      Last edited by Sir Newton; 08-21-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

News for Immediate Release. The decision to scratch build BH5 on 3000# floats has been made as of last night. This morning I formerly made a request for a set of Model B Wing plans from Mr. Bob Barrows with intentions of a immediate start on fabrication. I am sure another member has previously come up with the snappy new name "SeaHawk" lol :-) I am very anxious to get plans & get material ordered up. I have some Builder Ideas I want to review for implementation. CV-19 has freed up plenty of time this winter. My Wife said she was going to to help with the task. :-)
        Last edited by Sir Newton; 08-21-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

That is awesome. The model 5 is a beast. I'm pleased to meet you too Nathan. I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Welcome Nathan. Im also in Alberta (Airdrie). There are a number of others here too. At least one around Okatoks. I met Steve W from this forum in Villineuve the other day (I think he lives in Morinville). He’s a superb Patrol scratch builder, and also a professional float pilot. He introduced me to a fellow who is just finishing a highly modified 4-place also intended for floats. I don’t want to speak for them but at least they are not too far from you. I would reach out.

You didn’t say anything about a kit. Are you planning to scratch build? I can’t help you too much there other than to recommend buying whatever components you can afford from Avipro. I’m six months into my QB Patrol build, which is obviously a much more modest undertaking. Still, we should talk. I hope to keep connected to the the Bearhawk community in western Canada and grow and support it. My contact is available on this website.

Even as new as I am, I can probably save you some time and possibly even money on the basis of my recent experience getting my first wing done and ordering components. Steve W. had a great propeller setup that you should know about when you get to that point, and probably a hundred other things. People on this forum are just great at helping out when you get stuck. Mark and Mike as well. I can’t say enough good about how generous these guys are with help. For a while I was on the phone with Mark almost daily and he has remained patient, intuitive and courteous to such a degree that I wonder how he does it. Welcome! If you are ever driving through to YYC, I’m on the way. I would welcome you for a shop tour.

Comment

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              It is very nice to meet you Bruce. I would enjoy meeting you in person, you can bet I will take you up on your invitation for a shop tour. If you are ever in the G.P. cyqu area be sure to let me know & I will give you a tour of my build location.

The plan is to scratch build BH5 on anphibs floats. No regular wheel gear at all. and yes there is a reason I am scratch building as well. This BH will be very personalized. Starting with the wings! Otherwise I would have gone with the QB kit as well.
              I would really like to talk to the other Seaplane builders. Look forward to meeting you.

Welcome Nathan I'm also from Alberta just outside of Edmonton and fly a 4 place out of Cooking Lake.
            Tony

Comment

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              It is very nice to meet you Tony. My project has officially started. I received the prints for a set of Model B Wings today, after a high over of the prints. wow I am in for a really good time building these wings.
              Did you scratch build your BH4?

• K44
              K44 commented
              Editing a comment
              No not a builder I purchased it about 2yrs ago

If you are going with amphib floats, I think you are spot-on with the BH5. I have maybe 400 hours on the 185 on straight floats (2960s and 3430s) but no amphib time at all. Obviously, they fly well, but not like a Beaver, SC or BH.

On the other hand, I have a buddy who has a Horton STOL 185 with amphibs and at 1500’ASL that plane WILL NOT get off the water without rolling a float out first. Even then it’s a struggle. That’s with every load combination he has tried, including nearly empty. Once airborne, the plane is a bag of snakes due to the shape of the floats and keel area forward of the CG. He can never take his feet off the rudder pedals, at all.

Rudimentary conclusions: no float plane has too much power (of course) so the 5 is the way to go.
            Extra tail arm is a very good thing on floats (especially the amphib variety, it seems), so again, the 5 is the way to go.
            Don’t go minimal on the extra tail fin area.

Comment

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              agreed 100%,
          Working...
          X