Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new Ann Arbor lurker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Ann Arbor lurker

Joined up to do a bit of recon on the BH.

I've been shopping Maules looking for a weekend mountain bike getaway machine, but am starting to think this might be a better solution long term.

Looks like there is are a handful of folks in the area working on planes. I haven't built a full scale plane, which may work against me, and work as a mechanical engineer in automotive, which will definitely work against me :P

I do have some model aircraft building experience, have built a handful of safety cages for rally cars, and a few TIG welded mountain bike frames. I'd really love to weld up a fuselage, but suspect a quick build kit would be more practical with work and other hobbies competing for time.

I'd be interested in checking out a few local efforts in a Covid appropriate way.

thanks
    matt

Glad to see you here! There is a 4-Place builder named Chuck Morris who is at 3DA. It has a low-compression 360 which probably makes around 170hp, which is the same as the original Bearhawk prototype. Like mine, I think of his plane as a more utilitarian plane than a glamor girl, but it has lots of interesting touches and is close to you. He's not on the forum but if you are interested I can help put you in touch.

Comment

You are on the right track Matt. If you bought a Maule and then someone gave you a ride in a Bearhawk - you would see why so many Make owners have sold their Maules and bought Bearhawks. And despite the handicap of being a ME, your attitude shows some humbleness which might mitigate the problem.

I can think of a couple Patrols being built from QB kits in Michigan. Mark

Comment

Matt- your welcome to stop and see mine-come east to rawsonville rd off I-94 . 734 646-9810/Paul

Comment

Matt, one of the biggest reason I went with the four place is for the room to haul bikes around. If you want to check out a four place kit shoot me a message. I’m at 8 Mile and I-275.

Comment

Who is this Ann Arbor? - she seems like a lovely lady

Yeah, dunno about the bearhawk performance and how it compares to other machines, but I definitely enjoy building mine. I'm not even sure if I will ever fly it much, or just sell it and build another one. If you end up buying a kit, definitely factor in the building process into the "worth". Make sure you enjoy building planes - any technical trade skill will be a huge help, but I'd say the best looking and best-performing planes are made by the guys who enjoy building each weekend. If you're looking at buying a completed airframe, well then maybe the biggest indication of the desirability of a flying bearhawk is their after-market listing price.

James
            Australia
            The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
              Who is this Ann Arbor? - she seems like a lovely lady
              I sometimes tell people I'm from somewhere else, but that's a different topic altogether!

Originally posted by James View Post
              Yeah, dunno about the bearhawk performance and how it compares to other machines, but I definitely enjoy building mine. I'm not even sure if I will ever fly it much, or just sell it and build another one. If you end up buying a kit, definitely factor in the building process into the "worth". Make sure you enjoy building planes - any technical trade skill will be a huge help, but I'd say the best looking and best-performing planes are made by the guys who enjoy building each weekend. If you're looking at buying a completed airframe, well then maybe the biggest indication of the desirability of a flying bearhawk is their after-market listing price.

James
              Australia

I bought a TIG welder before leaving college ca. 1998. It's REALLY hard to not want to weld things when I see all the tubular structure. Ha.

I'm working "hard" to get a giant scale model Citabria more finished before work reclaims my brain on the 4th.

Building would be easier (for me) to enjoy if it wasn't tied to trying to scratch the flying itch.

Slowly still slurping up threads in the forum to see what's what. Ordered a bunch of books since EAA was having end of year promo.

Comment

• James
                James commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, put on your hardhat Bentmettle - lots of people on this forum have a lot to say about TIG welding airframes!

I didn't have the confidence welding to assemble the frame straight up, so I bought a second-hand kit. I have to do a couple of small mods to my current airframe, so that's how I'll learn - but I'll stick with OA. I might weld another frame down the track - you can get pre-cut tube kits as well, to cut the amount of work you do.

James

• Bentmettle
                Bentmettle commented
                Editing a comment
                Fortunately I'm not having to make any real decisions yet. I'm still very early on and need to learn a lot more before I do.
            Working...
            X