Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member-Companion plans build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member-Companion plans build

Hi everyone,
    My name is Kenny Blaise and currently reside in Bakersfield Ca. I just received the plans for the companion. I plan on building this from scratch mainly due to the long lead time of the kits. I have previously built an RV-4 and HRII which is one of the reasons I chose the Bearhawk line. Wing construction is similar to the RV/HRII. I may scratch build the wings and order the fuselage kit. Not sure yet. Looking forward to getting started. I'm looking at making this as much of a bush plane as possible- light weight, big tires and motor. I'm currently looking at the turbo'd UL520 as a powerplant and would like to hear from anyone using that engine and what their thoughts are. Anyway, can't wait to dive into this project and meet some other builders.
    Last edited by jaredyates; 12-08-2022, 06:07 AM.

welcome blaisek

Comment

Glad to have you with us.

Comment

Welcome! ...yeah, I'm picking this up late...

I think that the UL's look like fun! But don't forget what RPM they are making their peak power at. You may have to compromise peak power and/or short takeoff performance. STOL likes long props. Long props don't like high RPM. The other thing to consider is the choice of a turbo. I don't know the behavior of the UL, but turbo's are not typically good for work in tight spaces where quick power response is often appreciated. My only turbo experience in airplanes is with TIO-540's and the UL may be more responsive.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel View Post
          STOL likes long props.
          Because of the higher thrust / hp with the lower disc loading?

Hi Kenny,
          I'm also picking this up late. If lead time is a consideration may I suggest you flip flop and buy the quick build wings and scratch build the fuselage instead. It sounds like you've been there and done that with metal wings and the fuselage would be a new challenge. Unless of course you want to utilize your sheet metal tooling and you aren't tired of metal wing construction. The BH wings are time consuming.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
            Because of the higher thrust / hp with the lower disc loading?
            Yes. The same reason helicopter rotors are large and it is hard to make a jet that hovers.

Comment

I’ve flown two Rotax engines, 912 and 915, the turbo 915 definitely had a bit of turbo lag

I’m looking forward my 200hp Lycoming
              N678C
              https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
              Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Welcome aboard. Buy the wings, build the fuselage.
                Gerry
                Patrol #30

Comment

Working...
                X