Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help to re-open landing strips on GSENM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to re-open landing strips on GSENM

The BLM is having a Grand Staircase Region Recreation Study, and quoting from there press release in the Southern Utah News. “The public is invited to join the conversation about recreation management and the places in the Grand Staircase region of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument (GSENM) that they consider important.”
    I think we have an opportunity to voice desire to have at least some of the closed airstrips opened. The points of contact are Allysia Angus GSENM landscape Architect/land use planner at 435-826-5615 or aangus@blm.gov . If you have questions about the research contact Dr. Casey at 970-248-1095 or tcasey@coloradomesa.edu .
    This is what I sent to them. You can send the same or do your own, but please send an email to Allysia and/or Dr. Casey in support of reopening the strips with my message.

While other recreational vehicles, ATV’s and four wheelers were provide area in the GSENM recreational aviation interests were over looked originally in the Management and the back country airstrips were closed. These airstrips, created prior to 1976, have provided access for pilot to get to several scenic areas in the GSENM for camping and hiking. The loss of these airstrips has been felt by the aviation community that previously used them. The environment impact of aviation use of these few area is considerably less than ATVs and four wheelers and is liability no greater. The environment foot print is minor compared to that of other motorized vehicles and airplanes are not going to wander off their assigned areas. These strip should be re-open so recreation aviation can continue the long tradition of using these strips. These strip would also serve as emergency landing strips for aircraft over flying the area.

The strips that should be reopened up are: Colt Mesa, 37°44.389’N, 111°05.292’W; Grand Bench Neck, 37°16.74’N, 111°11.70’W; Collet Top, 37°27.38’N, 111°28.02’ W; Horse Mountain, 37°31.44’N, 111°41.18’W; Squaw Bench, 37°22.09’N, 111°39.80’W; Pilot Knoll 37°14.59’N, 111° 29.46’W
    LynnR
    BH 656

This is what Marv wrote:
    Subject: Colt Mesa, 37°44.389’N, 111°05.292’W; Grand Bench Neck, 37°16.74’N, 111°11.70’W; Collet Top, 37°27.38’N, 111°28.02’ W; Horse Mountain, 37°31.44’N, 111°41.18’W; Squaw Bench, 37°22.09’N, 111°39.80’W; Pilot Knoll 37°14.59’N, 111° 29.46’W

As an avid recreational back country flyer, I try to make two or three trips per year to back country areas. Utah has been my focus for my trips in the next couple of years, and I have been very disappointed to find that there are very few strips open to aviation adventurers, but the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument (GSENM) is available to Four Wheelers and ATV's, which have a much greater environmental impact than aircraft could ever have. It has come to my attention that the airstrips listed above are up for consideration as part of a regional recreational review. I would like to lend my support to the request to open these airstrips, and would have a personal interest in using them in the next 24 months. As a taxpayer, I have an interest in these recreational areas and do not understand being restricted from using them as an aviator. Leaving those airstrips open for our use has a much less liability exposure and environmental impact than other land based uses, as well as nominal costs. In fact, I belong to two recreational flying organizations that regularly complete projects at such airstrips to help enhance safe operations and provide upkeep. Please consider reopening the airstrips listed above, and in the future, please consider that aviation users should have just as much right to the use of land owned by the taxpayers of the United States as other recreational users.
    LynnR
    BH 656

Comment

Lynn, perhaps post on backcountrypilot.org too for a large target audience.

Comment

• LynnR
        LynnR commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot about them. Thanks.
    Working...
    X