Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gear maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear maintenance

I was wondering what people are doing when they need to work on the man gear of their flying Bearhawks? I inherited two massive jacks when I moved into my hangar. They were made for jacking an L1011 and have been more than capable of supporting Smokey. I would just as soon leave them here for the next hangar occupant rather than transport them to AZ but I don't know what to use in their place. Is there some method of supporting the plane other than lifting it from the spar attach points?

I have lifted the front end from the engine and removed both gear legs. For removing shock struts, you can connect a come along across from wheel to the other, and remove shock struts one at a time.

Comment

I have attached an engine hoist to the engine mount using a strop, and lifted one side at a time in order to maintain the landing gear.

Comment

Dennis and I also use an engine hoist with straps at two points on the engine mount and do one side at a time.

Comment

Thanks for that. It is nice to be able to lift the whole plane at once but I don't think it's worth the trouble to haul these things to another hangar.

Comment

Working...
          X