Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storage & Organizing Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage & Organizing Ideas

On Thursday the Garage door will be installed then my workshop will be ready for the move in. I am about ready to make a trip to the big box lumber store for peg board and shelving materials. My storage goals is minimize floor space used for storage. So shelves built into the wall are nice, as opposed to a set of shelving that rests on the floor and takes up valuable floor sq ft. and always is a obstacle when sweeping.

The wings I will probably hang from the walls using strips of carpet. On the small side of things, I like using 9x12" organizer boxes for my hardware. One box for each size of bolt, one for nuts, one for washers.

What do you guys do? How do you organize stuff, from the big stuff like a wing, to the small like a cotter pin collection?
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

We’re regular consumers of Land o’ Lakes butter, and they have perfectly-sized small rectangular tubs for storing small hardware. All of my rivet collection is sorted and neatly marked and stacked in them.

I’d certainly like to eventually invest in those small cabinets with clear plastic drawers. Or maybe one that holds closable divided boxes like those from Plano or similar.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• johnb
      johnb commented
      Editing a comment
      Last week, I was given a big bag of Velveeta cheese boxes for shop storage. Good sturdy small containers.

That’s a long term option, though. . You probably don’t want to hurry through 20-something pounds of butter for your first collection!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I use cheap stackable Tupperware tubs for cleco's and small clamps. Make use of space under your work bench. Be careful what you put overhead. Don't put anything up there that will fall and damage flight hardware. Once the main spar gets riveted together you got a storage problem. It's long, skinny, fragile and not easy to move around without damage. I've got a 20 x 24 shop and the spars dominate the place. Wing assembly plus tools will fill the place. Rivets and hardware I put into storage bins with individual pockets with spring loaded lids. This is the way Boeing does it and it's worked for me. Air hoses are a pain, roll them up and hang them from dog collars hooked to the wall. Make use of every bit of volume. Mostly, never use flight hardware as a tool box or a storage container.
      Merry Christmas
      Gerry
      Patrol #30 wings

Comment

Because I work on things other than airplanes, I have a shop full of fasteners and fittings of all sorts. I've dedicated a cabinet exclusively to AN/MS hardware. When asked to help discard a rotary file cabinet, from my wife's office, I decided that my aircraft hardware found a new home. Pictures attached. I'm really anal about organization. Drives me crazy if I have to spend 15 minutes searching for a bolt...

Bill

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

I have been using storage boxes like you have in photo 5. The ones you have in photo 4 are superior for spill containment especially for rivets with the individual tops on each one.

Sure is nice to have some heat! I think we are going on 8 days with daily high temps never reaching 20 degrees. The state record is 11 days. I wonder if Lake Michigan will freeze over this year.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            Global Warming.

These little cabinets are really nice. They open smoothly and the frame comes with dividers.
          Akro-Mils plastic storage cabinets are perfect for small parts organization. 16-64 clear drawers, finger grip pulls, stackable, wall-mountable. Made in USA.

Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
          X