Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whee out Bearhawk’in around.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I haven't seen an airplane motate like that on takeoff since the Super Decathlon 180/CS prop I flew for a while out of Palo Alto. And it was a "pogo stick" with about a 400lb useful load.

Comment

Originally posted by JJohnston View Post
      Wow. I haven't seen an airplane motate like that on takeoff since the Super Decathlon 180/CS prop I flew for a while out of Palo Alto. And it was a "pogo stick" with about a 400lb useful load.
      I wish it rotated so "pogo stick" like in real life. Some of the clips are speed up, the takeoff is one of them.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Well, I actually did mean to say "motate" (as in, "motivate", "motor", "motion"), not "rotate". Just a little colorful language. Anyway, I did notice the engine seemed to sound more "Rotaxy" than it should, but I've been out of the cockpit a long time.

Comment

That is one close up shot of the Grand! Looks like a bit more more room then the Luscombe.

Comment

Great video. That's some nice pow up there on those peaks!
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

• whee
              whee commented
              Editing a comment
              There was some awesome looking snow. I found myself frequently wishing I was on the ground shredding some pow. There was even some lines that appeared to have room for a skiplane to land at the top and bottom.

Nice pictures & video!

I would suggest trying takeoffs and speed-runs at 2600 (.89M) & 2700 (.92M) RPMs. See how performance compares, as tip speeds of .88-.92 are the recommended most efficient.
            You are turning a lot of horsepower into just noise at 2800 (.96M).

Comment

I couldn’t get away so my dad made this flight for me and took my brother along for muscle. We needed some boat parts; 10hr drive or 3hr flight. More than 500lbs of parts loaded in the plane. Pops said the plane flew great.

6FED2B7C-5422-44ED-AE41-4E36C271292B.jpeg

7F771BD7-CDA2-4B7B-9328-64F5E97F532C.jpeg

Last edited by whee; 05-12-2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Sorry no good pics; the smoke kinda kills the view anyway.

Flew to Salmon, ID with my kids to have lunch with my wife. First real flight since doing some significant maintenance. Was nice to get out and actually use the airplane for something meaningful.

854BEF78-5874-4D4C-90FF-7C02DD821E6C.jpeg

Comment

A friend hooked me up with some tires so I flew to his place and picked them up today. Pretty terrible conditions; hot, bumpy and smoke. Varied between 4 and 8 miles viz the whole day.

6B547150-89C9-459E-A095-409A25CA4CE6.jpeg

It didn’t even cross my mind that an airport selling fuel wouldn’t have self serve at least during after hours. Silly me, I really should have know better. Rather than disturb the line girl, and I didn’t really want to pay a $65 call out fee, I just bought some cans and “enjoyed” a leisurely stroll packing 10gallons of gas back to the airport. E0 fuel available.

4717B387-03A3-4C2C-B82A-0E26A72C9A2D.jpeg

That put me a bit behind so the race was on. As the sun angle decreases perceived visibility gets worse while the metars don’t really change. It’s nice having a kinda fast airplane.

6BA679B0-8D6A-4005-A353-E07C3F756C5A.jpeg

9A44A848-D320-487C-B2DE-1BBDA63584D3.jpeg
                  Most of the flight was pretty crappy but that last leg was late in the day so the air was cooling and smooth. Low and fast is kinda fun.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tried out the new tires. Major difference in both takeoff and landing. I did a few T&Gs and was feeling pretty good. I was using my typical 65mph speed on final and doing ok hitting my mark. Plenty of room for improvement but sufficient to go most of the places I want to go.

I switched seats with my pops so he could try out the tires. Takeoff was pretty standard as was everything else till we get on final. I’m squirming in my seat as I keep glancing at the ASI which is hovering around 55mph. He was flying a full 10 mph slower than I do and not even peeking at the ASI. Things felt solid so I decide to ride it out and see what happens. Down final we go, smooth and steady. At the bottom he pitches up but there’s no real flair and hold off, just a slow of the decent and a nice touch on the mains followed by the tail. I was in awe. Totally awesome. I have a ton more practicing to do. He likes the tires.

B6DCF481-ACC0-4B26-ACD4-548DF63BA07D.jpeg

Comment

Very nice! Is your dad a pretty experienced pilot? Sounds like he is.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                        Very nice! Is your dad a pretty experienced pilot? Sounds like he is.
                        His and my experience are about the same. He has more talent.

Comment

I fly my buddies Rans S-21, I fly final a good 10 mph slower than he does. You can do it
                          N678C
                          https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
                          Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
                            Tried out the new tires. Major difference in both takeoff and landing. I did a few T&Gs and was feeling pretty good. I was using my typical 65mph speed on final and doing ok hitting my mark. Plenty of room for improvement but sufficient to go most of the places I want to go.

I switched seats with my pops so he could try out the tires. Takeoff was pretty standard as was everything else till we get on final. I’m squirming in my seat as I keep glancing at the ASI which is hovering around 55mph. He was flying a full 10 mph slower than I do and not even peeking at the ASI. Things felt solid so I decide to ride it out and see what happens. Down final we go, smooth and steady. At the bottom he pitches up but there’s no real flair and hold off, just a slow of the decent and a nice touch on the mains followed by the tail. I was in awe. Totally awesome. I have a ton more practicing to do. He likes the tires.

B6DCF481-ACC0-4B26-ACD4-548DF63BA07D.jpeg
                            55mph is pretty close to my over the fence speed. 65 seems very fast, and with your high DA, your TAS is going to be even more. Lower than 55 I'll always be tail first, but at anything lower than 60 I need power on to land on the mains first, and that's just how I fly it now, just like you would most anything on the back side of the power curve. I'd fly slower than 55, but the AoA is just too high to land on the mains or even 3 point. It's the one limitation of the bearhawk that would be really nice to change, but I think it'd require a completely different flap or a lot more wing.

What's your stall speed at gross and empty?
                            Last edited by zkelley2; 09-03-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zkelley2 View Post

55mph is pretty close to my over the fence speed. 65 seems very fast, and with your high DA, your TAS is going to be even more. Lower than 55 I'll always be tail first, but at anything lower than 60 I need power on to land on the mains first, and that's just how I fly it now, just like you would most anything on the back side of the power curve. I'd fly slower than 55, but the AoA is just too high to land on the mains or even 3 point. It's the one limitation of the bearhawk that would be really nice to change, but I think it'd require a completely different flap or a lot more wing.

What's your stall speed at gross and empty?
                              I can’t recall off hand what my empty and gross stall speeds are. 51mph is average stall speed I planted in my brain.

I like 65 because the decent rate is slower and I can flair without needing to add power. Quite a while back when I was working on my technique I tried slower speeds but I was uncomfortable with the descent rate which caused me to pull back a little this taking away needed energy for the flair. I couldn’t do it without power.

My pops was flying 55mph on 1/4mile final. I don’t know what his over the fence speed was because at that point I was just holding on.

Comment

• svyolo
                                svyolo commented
                                Editing a comment
                                This is where AOA really shines. Your BH might land at 1800, or 2500 lbs and the stall speed and 1.3 X stall speed changes. If you fly AOA you fly the same approach every time. The 1.3 includes a fudge factor for heavier weights. AOA gauges were expensive and unreliable 50 years ago, but are simple and reliable now, including synthetic AOA, which is just a calculation if you have inertial data which you have if you have an EFIS. The trick is to have the AOA data easily visilble to you. Having not flown GA EFIS, I don't know how well presented it is. I have GRT installed.

• zkelley2
                                zkelley2 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I have AoA in my grt efis and find it completely useless. AoA has to be heads up for visual flying. No one should be looking inside on short final. Luckily that sight picture thing is really just AoA as well.
                                It'd probably be great for instrument approaches.

• robcaldwell
                                robcaldwell commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I have AoA with tone. Works really well in confirming where in the speed envelope I am operating with my head outside of the airplane.
                            Working...
                            X