Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long drill bit for drilling LG attach fittings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long drill bit for drilling LG attach fittings?

I'm checking if anyone can offer some advice on how to best handle the final drilling of the landing gear attach fittings. A lot of welding hours in those fittings and want to verify on right path. Due to the tight clearance to the longeron, the fittings can only be drilled from the forward side and with what looks like at least a 18" drill bit (3/8"). Not a bit that is just laying around in my shop.

Any suggestions or better approaches appreciated.
    Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

In the past, I've welded drill bits to a smaller diameter piece of cold rolled rod. If you use the same diameter rod, no matter how hard you try to drill perfectly straight, it will be off just enough to bind the rod up in the first hole while drilling the second hole. Speaking of straight, no matter how good of a welder you are. the bit will usually end up a little crooked. This is pretty easy to straighten up on an anvil with a few hammer taps. No, you don't need a "real" anvil. There are plenty of possible substitutes (old brake rotors can work surprisingly well). I also like to use never-seize lube on the part of the rod that passes through the first drilled hole to help prevent galling the inside of your freshly drilled hole. Hope this helps, and I love Bearhawk progress pictures.

Comment

How about something a little longer.... http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=03767910

18" ones are available too.....

Comment

I machined spacers, 3/8" ID. 3/4" OD. 3/8" rod threaded ends. Coped the brackets to fit the longeron with the assembly tight....Welded both front an rear as one. Reamed the brackets.....first...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X