Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuse/Tail inspection area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse/Tail inspection area

My next task is to fabricate the various inspection areas around the tail. Any and all suggestions as to be best way and etc are welcomed. I have reviewed George and Ron's but none others.

I'd be curious to see some options too. Since I have a servo mounted up in there, I think a sizable inspection/access cover is going to be necessary.

Comment

Some will have seen mine before, but I haven't posted here:

I find myself wanting a hole big enough for lots of access, and with access to the rear fairleads too.

I like this one the best, it feels secure and I expect it to last a long time.

The ones which are just adel clamped to the fuse and then glued to the fabric with a backing patch feel much more flimsy, and I worry they will need replacing before the fabric job does.

The one at the forward h-stab attachment point is fully free-floating. Hence I installed this AFTER heat shrinking the fabric to final position.

You can also notice my stitching joint, which saved me sewing an entire envelope. Just the bottom skin, two side pieces, and one top piece stitched onto them. Once covered with tape this is hard to see.

And here is a photo of the fairing around the rudder cable penetration, just for completeness:
      Last edited by Battson; 08-20-2014, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Battson. wonder if the inspection holes are needed on both sides?

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          From each side you can really only see the other side, and only easily reach certain areas, other areas are an awkward bend. So I do use both sides.
      Working...
      X