Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member from Loxahatchee FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Loxahatchee FL

Ive been mulling over starting a project for about a year. I originally did not consider a 4 place Bear Hawk because of the tube and fabric work. After talking to Mark I'm going to visit a completion this weekend and begin my own project.
    Since I am retired and plan on learning from the build, my plan is to purchase a quick build fuselage to avoid the welding portions and build the wings from parts starting with a rib and spar kit. I had considered buying a started project but with the new "Bravo" update I'm not sure I would want to start with an older version (which seems to be what's available)
    i belong to the local EAA chapter which is being very supportive about getting a fresh project in their hangar and appears will be very reasonable for renting space and I will save on having to buy some tools that are available in their tool crib. I'm looking forward to comments and ideas from a builders group.

Welcome! I grew up in the Royal Palm Acreage and have friends and family out in Loxahatchee and Wellington.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the "Alpha" Bearhawk, so if you have access to one at a good price, I say go for it! Anyone who has flown the original Bearhawk, especially Mark's test pilot, will tell you have great it is.

Good luck in your choice!
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 09-13-2016, 04:42 PM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Congratulations on your decision to begin! Your EAA chapter will be a great resource. I bought a project that became available, about a year ago. Been working on it pretty steady and enjoying every minute! It really helps to find satisfaction in the building process. The amazing thing about the process, is that you end up with an airplane, in the end.
      When you find yourself up against a problem, post a message here and you'll be amazed at the wealth of information at your disposal.

Bill

Comment

The Bravo package includes several updates, but the only show stopper is the change to the wing. You can build to the original plans and still incorporate the profiled tail ribs, aluminum fuselage formers, etc. The new wing includes less drag and less pitching moment, which also means less drag at the tail, but what is the airspeed gain? 5-10 knots? The new wing will also have larger fuel tanks as I understand it. To me it does not seem worthwhile to change an old Bearhawk to the new wing, considering how involved the change is, though I'm sure someone will probably do it and thus confirm or debunk that hunch.

Comment

Not sure if your the same Jared but I met with Joe in Gainsville last weekend to look at his 4 place and get ideas and he spoke highly of Jared that he transition trained with. I'm starting with a fresh sheet, rib and spar parts are ordered.

Comment

That's me, I'm glad you got to meet up with Joe! He's a very nice guy and his plane is top notch.

Comment

Working...
            X