Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Version of Running Control Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Version of Running Control Cables

Haven't felt like I've made much progress lately but today was the exception. I was dreading cutting the holes in the firewall for the controls so today I got another flying friend to come over to bounce ideas off of. We put 5 cables thru the firewall and I feel good enough about it to post some pictures.
    IMG_2123.JPGIMG_2112.JPGIMG_2117.JPGIMG_2122.JPG

Looks good!

Comment

Thanks for showing this to us. We don't get to see many firewall photos.

In the first photo, it shows the control connection to the carburetor. Tell us about how you made that connection. What products did you use at the cable end and to secure the cable approach to its control arm at the carb. Also tell us about the hardware you used for the firewall penetration, and the insulation you are using on the interior side of the firewall.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Brooks

It has taken a couple of days to get some more pics and gather the answers to your questions. The first photo with the carb I used control cable ends ACS PN# 05-07500 they are threaded to fit the end of the cables and the other end is a ball end with a threaded end that I will use a lock nut on in final assembly. I will have them on the throttle, mixture, and prop, haven't decided about the carb heat and cabin heat.

To secure the cables I used a slotted cable bracket that I learned about from Bill D. that he used on his Patrol. I used these on the throttle, mixture, and prop, ACS PN#10465.

For the firewall penetration I used Sphere Alum Grommets' ACS PN# 05-1384 they are pricey but I felt they were worth if. Also a Bill D. recommendation. As far as the fire proofing I will have to do some checking cause I forgot.

I am adding some pics of the plate I am using to mount the cables. My engine is an 0-540 and has threaded bolt holes in the oil sump I'm using to mount the plate I made. I used 3/4" square tubing (steel not alum) I got at the hardware store along with some 1/8" plate to give me more options and welded the throttle and mixture brackets to the plate. In the pics you will see more cables they are prop and carb heat and may also be secured to the plate. (No I'm not using the bolts you see in the pics.) I have to see how they react when hooked up. I also have a pic of the prop control hook up.

Hope this posting spurs some thought processes for y 'all.

IMG_2129.JPGIMG_2130.JPGIMG_2128.JPG

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is that on final assemble I will safety wire the brackets closed.

Comment

Thanks so much for passing this info on with part numbers. That really helps my understand how things will go together.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
            X