Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY ADS-B WEATHER Receiver using SDR/RasPi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY ADS-B WEATHER Receiver using SDR/RasPi

Knowing Bearhawkers are the DIY type, I wanted to call your attention to a project that's taking place over on reddit. It's now possible to put together a very functional 978/UAT ADS-B receiver with a few off the shelf parts and some pre written software. It's all very early with more features being worked on by the code author including GPS and AHRS. Hopefully the more proprietary software companies aren't jerks to avoid the game of cat and mouse. As of this time it appears to work with all apps including the more open ones (wingx, fltplan, avare, etc.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comm...ght_or_pretty/

Aviation weather and traffic receiver based on RTL-SDR. - cyoung/stratux

I'll probably throw one of these together in a week or 2.

Happy building,
    -Matt
    Last edited by Matt K.; 08-11-2015, 10:07 PM. Reason: I should emphasize this is FIS-B, not the 1090 SDR that has been out for awhile that provides traffic only. Data rates on the 978 frequency have been an issue with all prior SDR projects.

Very cool. I played around with an SDR a year or so ago as I was troubleshooting my 1090ES installation. My problem ended up being with the FAA and their ground stations. The SRD and 1090 was pretty cool. very inexpensive way to build a receiver. I was wanting to be able to decode the UAT signals. I think I have the correct SDR and a spare RaspberryPI sitting around. I will have to give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks for posting this. Let me know how it goes for you.
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Working...
    X