Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fiberglass fuel tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SC Patrol 253 View Post
    Have you found a source for Patrol tanks? I could find a local welder to do it but would rather find someone who has done a number of sets.
    Thanks,
    Todd
    Todd,
    I bought mine from Mark Goldberg ( as Jared listed above). They were excellent quality, as all of his parts are, and were cheaper than I could have built them. I use Mark for all the parts that I do not want to make. I bought all my wing steel parts, bearings and fuel tanks from him. I also plan to buy the fuselage from him in the future. At this point I am not sure if that purchase will be near or distant future!
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Thanks,.. I'll likely do the same. Keep posting your videos! I really enjoy them.

Comment

Avipro makes sense if you do not weld. Not worth the cost & time to learn. Option may be to find some one who is a good TIG welder that would weld the aluminum tanks for you. The construction of the tanks are simple if you follow the Beartracks or Newton's manuals. The assembly is tack riveted together with all aluminum rivets so the rivets can be welded over to seal & the seams welded. Make sure the welder is adding metal & not fusion welding that is just melting the parts together. We had one tank that was partly fusion welded & one that was welded with filler rod. Zero leaks in the tank with the filler rod. We had about 4 leaks in the fusion welds. My partner went back over the fusion welds with filler rod to give us confidence in the tank & it was retested. For some reason he started with fusion then switched to filler. He thought fusion would work with the thicker material but did not like it.

My partner is a qualified red seal welder ticketed for tig & stick. I was the person responsible for the company's registered welding repair program that tested his welds for years with all the welders for their annual ticket renewals. He TIG welded the fuselage & did a great job. The fuselage was set back on the table after welding to check the alignment and the plumb bobs fell back on the center line.
        Glenn

Comment

Working...
        X