Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter ring gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter ring gear

Hey folks

I just picked up an O-540-A1D5 core for my Bearhawk. However, it doesn't have a ring gear, so when I send it away for overhaul next year I'll obviously be buying one. That doesn't help me now, though. I'm going to use the engine as is to build my engine mount and cowl. I need to mock up the position of the spinner back plate so I can position the cowl bowl in the right spot. I'm going to be using a 3 bladed Catto FP with a 1" extension (which is easy enough to mockup) but I need to know the thickness of the ring gear so I can account for that as well.

Anybody know that dimension?

Thanks
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Issue solved. The vendor is going to supply a starter ring gear at no extra charge.
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

A company to perhaps consider for the rebuild of your engine is Q1 Aviation in Mississauga. I live in Dryden ON which is the opposite side of Ontario near the Manitoba border. We bought our prop through Skywagon City that was a first run MacCauley constant speed prop. Q1 gave us a reasonable quote for the overhaul of the CS prop so we had Skywagon send it there. The Q1 shop took less labour than anticipated as the overhaul & recertification only needed the seals, gaskets etc with no replacement parts or machining so the cost of overhaul was lower than the quote. The final invoice was well under their quote because their costs came in lower than anticipated. Very ethical. We needed a different governor to match the prop & Q1 exchanged a governor for ours at no cost. We sent the fuel pump in for overhaul & Q1 did the overhaul & testing at an excellent price. I told the local maintenance facility what we paid for the overhaul & certification of the fuel pump. They got quotes & have started to send their fuel pumps and other parts to Q1. Q1's overhaul rates were a lot lower for the fuel pumps overhauls than the shop that they were using. Q1 has been good to us.

Q1 is within a reasonable drive of Pakenham & it may be worth asking for a quote since there is time before overhauling the engine.

Glenn
      Bh727

Comment

Thanks, Glenn, I will definitely put them in my "request a quote" list. I've heard good things about ATC in Orillia and Aero Ateliers near Trois Rivieres as well.

Cheers
        -------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Working...
        X