Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudder Cable Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder Cable Springs

I am currently flying a RV-10. In common with all the VANS aircraft, the rudder cables are "loose" with no return springs. It works perfectly well. Why the need for the springs?

Actually, I can think of one possible reason - there is no mass balance on the rudder.......

The Patrol and Four Place rudder pedals are hinged from below and the spring keeps the rudder pedals sitting proud, keeps tension on the rudder cables, and when displaced by the wind they recenter the rudder.

Without the spring installed the rudder pedals will flop down..."tip over"... away from the firewall, and the rudder cables both slacken, and the rudder will be blown all over by the slightest wind. Just the weight of the cables and turnbuckles will tip my pedals over. That would be inconvenient if it happened in flight.

I've never touched an RV10. But I think your rudder pedals are hinged from above, and hang down when no pressure is applied to the pedals.

IMG_3848.jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 12.24.19 PM.png
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-14-2017, 11:26 AM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

The RV-10 pedals are, in fact, hinged from above - but it makes no difference. In flight, the rudder is held neutral by the aerodynamic forces and balancing. I still don't see why the need for springs.

Comment

As Brooks mentioned, it's mainly to keep the pedals from falling over since they're hinged at the bottom. I suppose you could do some sort of interconnected cable-and-pulley setup to keep them joined together and not fall forward as well. I'm thinking about that from a rudder trim perspective where you can put more tension on one rudder pedal over the other and adjust it back and forth.
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by PaulSA View Post
          The RV-10 pedals are, in fact, hinged from above - but it makes no difference. In flight, the rudder is held neutral by the aerodynamic forces and balancing. I still don't see why the need for springs.
          Let me put it another way.

I need springs because if I were flying my Patrol and took a foot off the rudder pedal, it would flop over....every single time. There is not a chance that it would stay upright. The rudder would remain faired during this event, but the conventional way to control yaw via rudder pedals would be not available until the pedals were stood up and the foot pressure applied to hole them up. Again, there is not a chance they would stay up without the foot holding it in position.

Look carefully at the side view of the rudder pedal diagram I attached from the Patrol Plans. Locate the spring and the 1/8" rudder cable attachment. Now, mentally remove the spring and visualize a small tug from the right side being applied onto the 1/8" rudder cable from the weight of the turnbuckle that is attached 8 feet to the right of the pedal. The result is the pedal tips over.....just like a falling a tree cut down by a lumberjack...BOOM...every single time the foot is removed from the pedal.
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-14-2017, 01:28 PM.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Fair enough.........

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X