Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q about MDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about MDF

Here is something I am wondering...
    Havnt worked with much MDF before.... I have noticed when I cut it on the bandsaw they dust floats suspended in the air.
    What bothers me is the smell. I SWEAR--- I think I can smell some kind of insecticide that seems to vaporize when it is cut.
    i am wondering if that is something put in there to prevent termites. If thats what it is--- does that make the dust toxic ?????

Tim

Maybe some level of formaldehyde and the wood fibers themselves? Some sap, maybe? Certainly tough stuff to be around when it’s floating in the air. And the dust gets *everywhere*! When cutting the stuff in an enclosed area, I wear a dust mask and also have overhead dust collection, but it’s still pretty pervasive. After a day of cutting firms and stuff, I’d be a respiratory wreck for a while. Not horrible, but noticeable. Imagine if you had asthma, COPD, or similar, you’d probably be hating life.

found this interesting bit about MDF and similar products:

Health and safety executive advice for the woodworking industry and allied trades occupational health and safety advice
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 12-21-2017, 06:23 AM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

In an earlier life ('76 - '77) I worked in a fiber-board manufacturing plant. Our board was made from aspen (Populus tremuloides) and the sap from the wood was the primary non-fiber component of the board. Other components included a small amount of sulfuric-acid and a wax to control water absorption. The binding agent is phenol-formaldehyde, which is the same resin used in many plastics and even dishes. Urea-formaldehyde is another resin used in some plywoods.. That's about it. The wood sap is the stinky stuff, and I suspect different source trees would produce different smelling board. The smell permeates every pore of one's skin, clothing, car, etc. The day I quit I walked through the plant boiler-room on the way to the parking lot. I took off my stinky boots, opened the door to the huge bark-fired boiler and threw the boots into the inferno. My wife burned our mattress the next day. The dust and its effect on my respiratory system was the reason I quit. I suggest you wear a mask when working with it, as I always do now.
      Last edited by bergy; 12-21-2017, 06:24 AM.

Comment

The expert response!
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
        X