Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Router Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Selection

Good evening everyone! I had a quick question about routers. I know some of the scratch builders here have used a router to form your ribs and I plan on doing the same. I'm getting ready to get a router that I intend on using for woodworking projects and eventually to make ribs, and I was curious for any suggestions for a model or general advice you wish you'd have had starting out. Thanks in advance!

Todd Weld
    Las Vegas, NV
    Todd Weld
    Plans #1515B
    www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Hi Todd,

Most any router will work just fine, actually. I guess it depends on how much material you intend to cut in one shot. If you only cut one or two ribs at at time, even the cheapest router can get the job done. Even a small handheld trim router.

If you plan on using it for a substantial amount of woodworking, then a larger router might be the ticket. I had a big 1/2” Freud for a number of years, but when it died, I couldn’t get replacement parts. So I ended up buying a big 1/2” Bosch. It’s been a good unit and available at just about any home center for a reasonable price. The one thing I discovered about the one I bought, however, is that the switch in the handle makes contact with the motor through sliding contacts on the motor housing. Since I have the router mounted upside down in the workbench, aluminum shavings fell down through the motor, and got into the contacts, shorting out the electronics and the router stopped. Not a dangerous situation because it’s electronic, however. Just blow them out and move on. But something to consider while choosing your router. You might look for a router with the switch on the motor and not on the router base. That way everything is contained within the motor.

There are a few of us scratch builders out there. Glad to lend a hand where needed!

~Chris
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

My experience, using a 1/4" shaft Craftsman router:

- If you are just trimming the edges (3/8" material or less), you can do multiple sheets at once (4 x 0.025, 3 x 0.032). Go slow, and do yourself a favor and use a little (cutting) oil.
      - To cut lightning holes (full cut; the entire bit is cutting), I tried cutting multiples, and after I screwed up a few ribs, wimped out and just did them one at a time. Again, slow feed and do NOT skip the oil.

I found the 2 HP router was more than able to cut the aluminum, but the heat build up in the bit was tremendous and caused no end of problems (mostly, causes the follow bearing to come off or destroy itself). Keep it slow, don't do too much at once, and use oil; all will keep the heat down and allow an exceptional cut.

-Terry

Comment

photo shows my 2hp router
        The router was mounted in this orientation.
        I put a piece of lexan around openings to prevent shavings from falling into router.
        I also used a vacuum attached to the side of the router to increase the safety margin.
        Most of my routing was done with the 1/2 inch spiral bit. I did use a 1/4 spiral bit for a few places(pocket ribs).

The most most most important thing is that the aluminum has to be trimmed to less then the radius of the router bit. If you do not do this the router bit will grab unexpectedly.
        Spiral bits come in two types. Some eject chips away from router. The other pulls chips into router. They go by the label upcut (pulls chips into router need lexan and vacuum )and downcut (throws millions of hot chips at your face if you mount the router on a table ).

Any router that can chuck 1/2 bit should work.
        My router bits were

Whiteside Router Bits RFT5125 1/2-Inch Diameter Spiral Flush Trim Up Cut with 1-1/4-Inch Cutting Length amazon.com
        Whiteside Router Bits RFT2100 1/4-Inch Diameter Spiral Flush Trim Up Cut amazon.com
        Whiteside Router Bits BB501 5 Piece Bearing amazon.com
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Last edited by sjt; 05-08-2018, 07:03 PM.
        Stan
        Austin Tx

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I ended up going with a 1/2" Bosch 2.25 HP. I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, but it had good reviews, and the switch isn't on the handles. It sounds like it will be adequate for cutting ribs and some woodworking on the side. I'll be sure to try the cutting oil and check out those bits. Thanks again for the responses!
          Todd Weld
          Plans #1515B
          www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

Working...
          X