Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let the sandblasting,priming, covering, etc begin... input on systems pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the sandblasting,priming, covering, etc begin... input on systems pls

Well, I think I have finally made the last major parts now that the cowling is done. Trying to get ready for the upcoming weather window that is best for painting here in New Mexico.

Having used the the Stits with Aerothane process before I had pretty much made up my mind to go with Stits/Ranthane this time. Now, I'm rethinking that. Superflite System 7 just caught my attention this morning. I'm trying to do my due diligence research, not finding the detail I need on the Superflite system yet. Things like required scuff sanding of epoxy primer on metal, time after primer till color coat. I do struggle a bit with the new forum search engine, just getting old and not as adaptable as used to be.

Some of you have recently used the Superflite system and I think you were happy with it. Any feedback on specific advantages over Stits/Poly Fiber would be appreciated.

Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

John, my previous experience was also with Stits. I had no trouble with Stits and was planning on doing that system on the Patrol. A good friend, who’s covered a bunch of planes, talked me into trying Superflite. I really like it! I found the fabric glue easier to use. I REALLY like the fabric primer. It’s just a high build primer. No gummy poly brush that you can’t sand. I probably shot 6 coats of primer and sanded 3 off. The stuff sprays beautifully and sands great.
    I used some Superflite epoxy and some Nason (automotive) epoxy primer. I always scuff the primer before top coats. If I recall, less than two days after spraying the epoxy, you don’t have to scuff. Don’t rely on that...
    I enjoy the covering process. If I do another plane, I'll use Superflite.

Bill

Comment

• John Bickham
      John Bickham commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for that Bill. Value your input.
Working...
X