Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib DXF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I get back to Platinum....I’ll change the battery in the motherboard...fire up the old dos box with 466/88 MHz running Windows 98....with Cadkey97... the DXF’s are laid out for a waterjet without the tool path. Will need to know where to post up the files in a permanent location.
    Mark M

Comment

IAflyer Tim, Sent you a PM regarding getting a copy of the airfoil DXF.

Comment

All,
        I got some quotes back and will be having my rib pieces cut in a few weeks. Just curious if anyone else wanted to go in on a set. It will be $925 per set for the following:

Aileron Nose Rib qty 16
        Aileron Pocket Rib qty 16
        Aileron Rib qty 16
        Back Rib qty 4
        Flap Nose Rib qty 26
        Flap Rib qty 18
        Front Rib qty 46
        Mid Rib 2 qty
        Mid Rib 1 qty 6

This is for the pieces cut ONLY! Not formed. If there is enough interest, I may be able to get a quantity discount. PM me.
        Thanks!

Comment

IA flyer,

Where are you getting your quote for the set? That seems a tad high, but I guess it depends on location and if they are sourcing the metal.

You might shop around and see if you can find a place that uses a CNC router instead of laser as it will be cheaper and just as accurate, plus the laser might cause a HAZ that you would want to remove to prevent cracking.

I've been building up the CAD (AutoCad) wing drawing for a 4 place B model. I should have them done this weekend and will post pics here. I've sent them to a place in Savannah Georgia and may have a couple contacts in Wichita Kansas that can do the work, have experience with aircraft tolerances, etc. if you're interested.

Wyo Johnson
          1423B

Comment

Originally posted by IAflyer View Post
            I am wanting to try and do as much as I can myself.
            So why the expense of laser cutting? Trimming mine out on a table router with MDF templates was satisfying to say the least. Turning out multiple copies of metal like a machine shop was pretty motivating, especially early on in the project when I didn't feel like I knew what I was doing. (which I still don't but it's all relative!)
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

I took my mylar sheet to the copy place and had them scan it to a jpeg, then used my software to size it correctly and trace the lines. Personally I wouldn't use a laser because of the HAZ.
              Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

It took me a bit under 40 hours to make the tooling and cut the ribs with a router. The tooling I made would cut 3 to 4 ribs at once with a hand held Black & Decker router. Now it took as much time to sweep up the chips that were strewn all over the shop as it did to cut a bunch of ribs.

I made a router guide from 1/2 inch MFD and a cover board from 3/16 plywood to protect the aluminum as I was cutting it with a router. I use one bit to do all the ribs. I do have a foot shear to cut the rib blanks.

What makes sense is for a couple builders to go together on the router tooling and then share that tooling. I have rented all my tooling once. But it is for the A model wing.

What would make sense is to have the hand held router guides cut on a CNC router. Once you have the shape of the rib blank, you can use it to make the cover plates and then all the ribs.

$925 is $23.13 per hour for 40 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by S Lathrop View Post
                  Draft Sight is a free 2D drafting program from the makers of Solid Works. It is very close to AutoCad and in fact all the commands from AutoCad work in Draft Sight, even the 3D commands which Draft Sights does not list.
                  Does anyone know of a free alternative to Draft Sight after end of this year? I'm told they will no longer be offering the free version.
                  Mark
                  Scratch building Patrol #275
                  Hood River, OR

Comment

Solidworks is free to EAA members which is a fantastic deal as the base level package is about $4500. I use it extensively both in my work and for modeling the Patrol.

Comment

• Chewie
                      Chewie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Right, but draft sight?

I drew up the "B" Model wing with partial fuselage in Iron Cad. I believe it can be exported in Solidworks format if anyone is interested. Used the .DXF to CNC router cut my ribs.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ_Flyer View Post
                      I drew up the "B" Model wing with partial fuselage in Iron Cad. I believe it can be exported in Solidworks format if anyone is interested. Used the .DXF to CNC router cut my ribs.
                      That looks awesome! I tried doing something similar with a friend who had a CNC machine, but it went terribly (he didn't quite know how to use it...). I realized that all my nose ribs I had originally made are barely off, but enough that I need to re-fab them all :/ Where in AZ are you? I'm out in Maricopa and would love any input/advice on making some well-done uniform ribs.
                      John Wiltberger
                      Model B - #1544B
                      Maricopa, AZ

Comment

• AZ_Flyer
                        AZ_Flyer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm just down south in Tucson.

Originally posted by AZ_Flyer View Post
                      Great work..

....I've already got most of my formers made the old fashioned way....I'd like to learn a cad program....if you have files to share id like to work on them and hopefully learn something...if you have any good you tube channels to recommend ... Much appreciated

late at night when you can't sleep...this is just the thing to work on....

Comment

Working...
                      X