Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping Wing Skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Wing Skins

I am to the point of ordering the 4x12 wing skins for my Bearhawk. It's been recommended to me to make the drive to Atlanta and pick up the skins to ensure they are in perfect condition. (About 12 hours roundtrip)

Just wondering other's experience with ordering wing skins from Spruce. Rolled vs. Flat etc. My luck with truck companies is pretty bad. I called spruce and they claim they will handle any issues if a sheet is received in a condition that is not "perfect". They can roll both .025 and .032.....so UPS is an option too.

Any insight or experience would be appreciated.
    Last edited by mswain; 04-21-2014, 07:27 PM.

I got half of my wing aluminum (sheet) From spruce, rolled, UPS'd to Alaska. It was flawless and it unrolled flat. I got the other half from. wicks, crated flat ( because i had a friend driving up with an empty trailer) It was packaged VERY well. I would order rolled again...especially if they guarantee it. I dont have the option to drive a few hours to inspect it though. I paid hundreds for shipping, and it was still much cheaper than buying it locally.
    Andrew Fowler
    Scratch building patrol 176
    Fairbanks, Alaska

Comment

Do you have a TW metals around you? They are usually cheaper.
      Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Don't know what part of the country you live, but I really liked Airparts in KC, MO. They run a small family business, and are very nice to deal with. They roll their aluminun and ship in boxes.(UPS)

Collin Campbell,
        Bolivar, MO

Comment

I had ACS send mine rolled and it arrived without damage. They also sent me some crated and it was damaged, but they promptly took care of it and sent me more rolled to replace it. I feel that ACS has very good customer service and I would not be afraid to order your sheeting from them as long as it was rolled.
          Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

Comment

I have ordered sheet metal from ACS before (crated flat) and had it damaged by the trucking co. It was only on the corners so I did not send in a claim. When I buy my metals for the patrol I think I will drive up from Savannah. 8 hrs. round trip, but I will probably get the tubing and all the metal at once so it would save on shipping. I have gotten rolled metal from ACS with no problem.
            Swaid
            Fixnflyr,
            Patrol Scratch build #262

Comment

I purchased mine from spruce shipped flat. The shipping cost was only 180 ( to north alabama) and condition was perfect.
              David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

Appreciate all the feedback. I think I might give shipping a try. TW metals does not stock 2024 in the Savannah or Orlando locations, but their quote including freight was indeed less than AS.

Comment

• X'N
                  X'N commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I should have said this before, but unless quoted their metal does not come with the PVC coating. So if that's important to you than its most likely cheaper to go with AS.

I went with Wicks in Illinois. The shipment came from TS Metals, not sure of the location. Ask the vendor for a discount. Mine from Wicks was approx. the shipping cost. I believe it was a 10%. sf.

Comment

I have ordered 4x8 and 4x12 sheets from AS three times. they were rolled all three times and all came in perfect condition. I plan on ordering the rest of my skins the same way.
                  John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

For what it's worth.... I got a quote from TW on .020 48 x 144 2024-T3 alclad the other day....they were over $30.sheet higher than Spruce.
                    John Massaro
                    Plans Building LSA - 091
                    Arizona

Comment

Working...
                    X