Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Tagging and Searching for Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Tagging and Searching for Tags

One of the problems with finding info on the forum has been that searching needs don't necessarily match with sorting frameworks. For example, if you want to now about tires for your Patrol, you might also be happy to see posts about tires for a 4-Place. Perhaps less so about tires for the LSA. What if you could look for posts that are about tires, and maybe filter out posts about one type or the other?

The forum software has always had this capability, but it hasn't had widespread use. In an effort to help advance this, here is a screenshot tutorial. Please let me know if your screen looks different enough that we should make something similar based on what you are seeing.

Step one:
    When you are creating a post, or when you are reading someone else's post, you can add tags. You can see the option at the bottom of the first post in the thread, as depicted here:
    tags1.jpg
    This is an existing post that Michel made which concerns rigging. There are no tags.

Since I think it seems like a rigging question, I'm going to add a tag by clicking on the blue part of "tags: none". That gives me this dialog:
    tags2.jpg
    Here you can type a new tag, or select from a popular tag. Don't feel intimidated here- if you type "empenage" and someone else types "tail" we can easily (though manually) merge those two from the administration side down the line. I'd rather folks feel generous about giving out the tags.
    tags3.jpg
    After I have added the "rigging" tag to Michel's post, the image above is what it looks like. It now says "Tags: rigging".

So from the content creation standpoint, we're done. But what about being able to benefit from those labors?

Let's say you want to search for topics about rigging.

First, click on the link that says "Advanced Search" as emphasized by the pink letters in the screen shot below:
    tags4.jpg
    Then type your tags in the "tags" field. You can also filter by other handy metadata as you wish.

Keep in mind that as of now the tagging is manual. We have dozens of posts on rigging in the forum, but as of now Michel's thread is the only one. Anyone should be able to add tags to any posts- let me know if you can't.
    Attached Files
Working...
X