Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm almost ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm almost ready

I will be heading to Fairview next month for a visit with Bearhawk. If all goes well, which I am sure it will, I will be placing my deposit shortly thereafter.

The only real decision I will have is Companion vs. the 4. If I go with the 4, I am certain that most of my flying will be with the back seat removed.

After speaking with Virgil, I am 99.9% sure I will go with a new IO-390, not the Thunderbolt version, with a constant speed prop.

I would say my only concern with a 4 and the IO-390 would be with a third person and loaded with baggage. If anyone has this combo, how does your CG work out?

When it's 2 vs. 4, always an option to rent for those few times when you need the 2 extra seats. Tough to max out a Companion in terms of weight without something like a cargo pod. On the other hand, it's always nice to be able to offer someone a ride back to home base, and you meet the nicest people that way.

Comment

• TJ_Slice
      TJ_Slice commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure I'd be happy either way.

It’s not in a Bearhawk, but I know about a Lycon IO-390 that’s dyno’d at 345 hp. Something like that would work well in a Companion or a 4 place.
    Last edited by TrueAirSpeed; 08-28-2024, 08:30 AM. Reason: Added text.

Comment

• TJ_Slice
      TJ_Slice commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be a hotrod, but for my first airplane build, I don't want to change anything with the engine. I'm fine with 210 hp.

Food for thought in choosing:

1) Space is like power, great to have even if it is not always needed

2) Both planes are similar, the 4 Place just gives you more engine choices

3) Extra cylinders just burn more fuel.

I chose a Companion (2 seater) for two reasons:

1) I thought MOSIAC would be a thing by now and I could fly it on a Sport Pilot license.

And a DISTANT #2

2) Being I was locked into a 2 seater I was never going with a tandem as my wife would never fly in the back seat as she gets sick in the back seat of a car but loves to fly sitting next to me.

I am guessing a Companion might get into some shorter strips if needed, but is that your mission?

Good luck making your choice, both are great options
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• TJ_Slice
      TJ_Slice commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, tandem is out for me too for the same reasons. My mission is similar to yours, but coming from Texas, the day trips are out of the question.

This is probably something I am going to waffle about until I actually write the check. I really think I will be flying with at least one large cooler on my long trips. It sure would be nice to have the cargo door on the 4 while loading and unloading. In the end, that door may be the deciding factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Utah-Jay View Post
      1) Space is like power, great to have even if it is not always needed
      [...]

3) Extra cylinders just burn more fuel.
      Note only is "3" wrong, it is in directly conflict with your "1". I'm not saying that extra cylinders is for everyone, but this statement is just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel View Post
        [...]

Note only is "3" wrong, it is in directly conflict with your "1". I'm not saying that extra cylinders is for everyone, but this statement is just wrong.
        Oh I agree!!! My Companion has plenty of power, no way I would have gone with 180HP! Especially where I live

N678C

Comment

It sure would be nice to have the cargo door on the 4 while loading and unloading. In the end, that door may be the deciding factor.
          I think you probably hit on the real deciding factor there.

My 4 place more often has the back seat removed and is used as a 2 seater in the hills with plenty of baggage space.
          If I was building again, given my stage in life (kids left home) I'd be looking very closely at a Companion. I'm yet to fly one, but I think the tighter CG envelope should make for some great handling qualities vs the 4-place's great utility. There's always going to be a trade off somewhere.

And if I was living in the USA it would be a very easy choice - I would telephone Mark Dickens and buy his partially completed Companion HERE.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• TJ_Slice
            TJ_Slice commented
            Editing a comment
            It kind of weird, but when I read your post, I hear it in my head with a NZ accent. I'd say your videos have contributed much to my decision on what airplane to build. That Companion kit is quite the deal, and close enough to consider. I'd have to weigh that carefully with my desire to learn every little bit of the airplane I build.

Why not just buy the one advertised in "For Sale". Save time and money

Comment

• TJ_Slice
            TJ_Slice commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm certainly interested, but part of my interest in building is to become very familiar with every square inch of my airplane.

Mark Dickens is a great builder, he has built an RV previously so I am sure his build quality would be top notch. I already showed his ad to two friends.
          Last edited by Utah-Jay; 08-28-2024, 10:41 PM.
          N678C

Comment

• TJ_Slice
            TJ_Slice commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks nice, I'm sure somebody will take it, and they will get a great deal too.

If you want to be familiar with every square inch of your plane, scratch build.

Comment

• TJ_Slice
            TJ_Slice commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, I don't want to be THAT familiar.
        Working...
        X