Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Flight Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob takes a very light weight approach to his designs but he is also very generous with the size and depth of the windows. The rear window on the Patrol extends very far aft and the LSA is similar. The dog leg in the upper longerons angles that rear window in and allows the pilot to lean to either side and have a good view out past the tail. I could be completely wrong on this but have always wondered about the station N-M-L upper longeron dog leg when the lower longerons flow at a natural curve. The later model 180s have a 3rd rear window and I remember always appreciating the rear visibility/spaciousness this added.

I had my wife sit in the fuselage a while back with a temporary seat and decided to make the seat height adjustable with some pins or a cushion. The passenger seat needs to be near the floor for someone like me (6'4") but if I put it permanently in that position shorter people end up sitting very low in the cockpit. The more glass you have bellow your eye line the more spacious and open the cockpit feels.

Thanks again for the pictures and perspectives after completing/flying your LSA. It sure has been helpful.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by lsa140; 01-06-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Bdflies
      Bdflies commented
      Editing a comment
      I just think it's so great that you guys can do these graphics! How much time is involved to come up with such?

Bill

• lsa140
      lsa140 commented
      Editing a comment
      It took quite a few hours to draw a 3D model of the BHLSA a couple years back but I already had the pilot/passenger. Once you have a model rotating it around and grabbing screen shots only takes a few seconds.

What's was the final weight of your build? Did you add any extras like rear brakes etc?

Comment

Empty weight was 798 lbs.

I was shooting for light(no charging system, just a battery and starter, no floorboards, just heel plates, no entry step, no interior fabric.)

Only "extra" I probably wouldn't do again is the skylight which I'm sure is at least 5 lbs.

I expect if I had used Matco wheels(I had a set of standard 1.5" axle Clevelands on hand) and used Oratex instead of Stits I would have been in the low 780 lb range

Comment

Did you need any ballast to get your cg right? Have you flight tested cg limits?

Comment

Working...
        X