Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solidworks plans for CNC routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solidworks plans for CNC routing

Hello All

After recently getting my recreational licence (Australia) in a legend cub I'm very interested in the Bearhawk LSA. It seems to be just like the cub in a lot of respects, but only better. And perfect for the flying in and out of farms I like to do.

I am very interested in building the aircraft but can't immediately afford a quick build kit. Soni have been thinking about scratch build. However I know it takes an immense amount of time and I do want to be flying before 20 years.

I am wondering if anyone has put the designs through SolidWorks or AutoCAD to use CNC routers to cut out detailed parts such as wing ribs, forms and perhaps to do tube fish mouthing. Perhaps this might shave some time off a scratch build endeavour?

Has anyone started down this road or Built a Bearhawk with the assistance of CNC machining?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Grum

To my knowledge there is no source of electronic drawings of a BearHawk.

I am building a 4 place from plans. I have experience with both AutoCad and SolidWorks and I have taken the time to draw many of the parts before I actually build them. I find that the drawing process helps me plan how to make the part in question. With a membership in EAA, you can get a student copy of Solidworks. Also there is a 2D drawing package Draft Sight that is a free down load. Both drawing packages are by the SolidWorks people and they have very good tutorials to teach you how to use them.

I also happen to have a very old Bridgeport CNC mill. I replaced the original Bridgeport controllers with new 3 axis controller but the mill is still 50 years old. It is very slow.

My fuselage is built from a kit made by VR3 in Canada. The kit is all CNC cut tubes. That saves a ton of hours. You can buy many parts from http://bearhawkaircraft.com, including a fuselage tube kit. I have purchased several parts that I felt would have cost more for me to make than to buy.

In short, with the resources of http://bearhawkaircraft.com you can hit a compromise between a quick build kit and a pure scratch built plane.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Lathrop. .

Thats the recipe i was aiming for.

Yeah i think piecing it together in solidworks first should provide a better understanding of how the whole project needs to come together.

Id better get going converting the plans.

Cheers

Comment

The VR3 people have the Patrol and 4 place as a digital Solidworks design, I am not sure about the LSA. Like S. Lathrop I am documenting my Patrol build in Solidworks so when I am done I have full isometric drawings with very complete BOMs. For some portions I have also created step by step build manuals.

Comment

• Goldendale Flyer
          Goldendale Flyer commented
          Editing a comment
          VR3 had a very competitive price to provide a full set of tubing for the fuselage, landing gear, controls, foot pedals, etc They have already drawn this in a 3D program. Website is VR3.CA

Grum
        where are you in Australia ? I am building a 4 place here.
        regards Peter

Comment

Hi Peter

I am on a farm not far from Dubbo NSW. I haven't made a start on any construction yet? Have you? Id would really like to met see your project if you are local.

Cheers
          Grum

Comment

Grum
            east of you at Morpeth
            we have the fuselage on its main wheels
            I'll PM you.
            Peter

Comment

Hi Grum, you might want to check out the bearhawk store on the bearhawk website. The parts you mention are available there for reasonable prices. If I were going to scratch build I would do it by buying every part available at the bearhawk store. It would make a good compromise between the quick build and truly scratch building every part. Much less expensive than the quick build kit, and some of the parts aren't really much more than you would spend on raw materials and it would certainly save you several years on the build. I considered going that route but decided to sell the Pacer I was flying at the time and my motorcycle to help fund the project and so I could really focus on building.
              Rollie VanDorn
              Findlay, OH
              Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Thanks Rollie

That sounds like a good approach. I was going to get it layed out in SolidWorks and just see how much materials and costs involved vs buying the pieces. The issue we have in Australia is that by the time we pay the exchange rate and overseas freight it adds up to be quite expensive. Hopefully one day someone might build kits here under licence perhaps.

Comment

Feeling your pain there Grum. There doesnt seem to be the market here in Aus like the US

Comment

Working...
                  X