Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAD Files for various parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD Files for various parts

Does anyone have or know where I can obtain a dfx, or other CAD format files, of the LSA Master Rib template or any of the other parts?

I'm interested in seeing what some of the local water jet cutting companies would charge.

I'd be open to paying a reasonable fee.

Thanks in advance-

JM
    John Massaro
    Plans Building LSA - 091
    Arizona

I ended up having to make my own for the patrol. Only reason I did it is because I have a cnc router and wanted to cut my own. From quotes I've received recently for waterjetting my guess is it would still end up costing you more $ than just buying the Pre-bent rib package. + You'll save a year or so of build time.
    Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

I was thinking originally about importing so e of ten drawings in cad to cut out the jigs or ribs. I ended doing them all with ten router. it really did not take that long. it took me longer to look for somewhere to bend my spars and coordinate the bending than it did to build the templates and cut out all my ribs. Buy a couple sheets mdf, a good vs router, make a table and buy a few good carbide spiral bits and have fun. The one thing I did is scan in the flap and ailerons nose and pocket ribs and have them cut out of 1/4 plexiglass to use as a template. Used those to build the mdf template for cutting. I had the laser cutter though.
      John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

I have a Print to CAD software that can convert a PDF drawing into a DXF file. I'd be happy to convert it for you. When you have the template drawing scanned, first draw a line to exactly 12 inches so I have a reference to size the file to. However that won't be necessary if there is already something on the drawing with a specific dimension like a lightening hole. I've done this for the Dragonfly wing forms and it worked great. It took a little tweaking but it all came out perfect.
        John, Naples FL
        Bearhawk 4-Place Plans #1316
        Patrol Plans #006
        Experience is something you get, right after you need it.

Comment

I should have stated for the converting a PDF to CAD file. The services will be Free. You'll have to call me your 'new best friend for a day' or some ego massaging statement like that.
          John, Naples FL
          Patrol Plans #006

Comment

One thing I found is that sometimes the roll thru scanners most shops will use sometimes will put a slight curve in the scan when doing the wing rib template.

Comment

Yes that can happen. The place here in Naples has done a great job for me. I'll double check the copy with the original that I have for 4 place and see how well it matches up. Once I finish my new CNC router I'll be able to cut out the template to match that to the original drawing as well.
              John, Naples FL
              Patrol Plans #006

Comment

What you building for a router?

Comment

I'm building the Joe's CNC 4X4 EVO model. However it's a little tweaked.
                  Instead of 4 feet by 4 Feet, it has a cutting area of 4 feet (50 inches) by 12 feet. The specific reason for this size is to lay out full sheets of aircraft aluminum to cut out what ever I need.

My friend is building the Zennith 750. This machine will be able to cut out each of the fuselage sides and the top and bottom panels in one cut including rivet holes. The top rear piece being the longest at 11.5 feet. Wings skins as well with rivet holes, etc.
                  Last edited by Jflyer; 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM.
                  John, Naples FL
                  Patrol Plans #006

Comment

• X'N
                    X'N commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do you have a build log on CNCzone? What's different about the EVO VS the Hybrid?
                    If your going to have that big of cutting area you may as well cut your spar cap strips/spacers/attach plates in one piece!

The EVO, for 'Evolution' is an upgrade to the 4X4 hybrid with all the carriages being made with 3/4" 6061 Aluminum plates. Much more rigid. This allows you to beef it all up. I'm using 960oz torque NEMA 34s with the CNCRouterParts.com Pro-Series drive plates with their 3 to 1 ratio drive gears. The 3 to 1 adds power as well as accuracy. With dual rack and pinion drives for X-Axis, this should provide over 200lbs of pulling power for the gantry. The original 4X4 Hybrid model would simply not hold up with the MDF box carriages. Joe designed the EVO specifically to handle the larger gantry and more powerful steppers.

No build log at CNCzone. Joe has his own forum at his sight which is where all the individual build logs are for his machines. http://www.joescnc.com/
                  They have a great following with plenty of experts available to provide help and assistance, just like the Bearhawk forums.

For the spars I plan to make a jig/fixture to hold the spar web, cap strips and plates in order to use the CNC router to drill all the rivet holes at one time. Or at least many as I can feasibly drill at one time. This way everything will be match drilled. If I need to drill the holes for a spar cap or plate separately, using the same CAD file will ensure accuracy.

The construction of this CNC Router was originally started for the sole purpose of making aircraft parts, and more specifically the Bearhawk 4-place parts for my build. I plan to use it to make every part that can be cut on a flat table. I'm also researching a homebuilt CNC tubing cutter.

However, as time goes by, the uses for this machine seem to be endless.
                  Last edited by Jflyer; 04-29-2014, 10:39 AM.
                  John, Naples FL
                  Patrol Plans #006

Comment

• X'N
                    X'N commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah got ya. I didn't see anything on his site about the Evo. Is his forum still private? I went the CNCrouter parts route. Wish I had room for a longer table.

Funny you talk about a tubing cutter. I was looking at that too a while back. I plan to try fishmouthing some tube with my 4th axis some day being it has an open center for the chuck I can get up to 3/4 tube in there.

Did you ever download the DFX's for the 4-place from the yahoo group? If you need them I still have a copy.
                    Last edited by X'N; 04-29-2014, 12:24 PM.

Yes, Joe's is still a private forum for those who bought his plans, however I think he'll let others on. I know of one member who built his original 2006 version which was a free 'open source' design. Email him and ask. Explain that you're a CNC Routing aficionado. Tell him I sent you. Same user name as I have at this forum. He's a laid back casual Texan. Good people.

I also have a Techno Table Top CNC router that has a cutting area of 20" by 29". I can use it to cut out all the aluminum plates. However, after the 'Big Boy' is up and running I plan to swap out the router on the table top machine for a water cooled spindle in order to slow the RPMs down to milling speeds and then use it to mill metals as well as the 4130 parts.

This is a couple of months away. I'm at the stage with the Big Boy where I am mounting the carriages and assembling all the moving parts.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  Last edited by Jflyer; 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM.
                  John, Naples FL
                  Patrol Plans #006

Comment

And yes I have the DXF files from the old Yahoo Group. I did cut out a center rib section and nose rib with that DXF file to test out the table top machine.

In fact I've downloaded just about every file from the old yahoo group.
                    Last edited by Jflyer; 04-29-2014, 04:29 PM.
                    John, Naples FL
                    Patrol Plans #006

Comment

• John Massaro
                      John Massaro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I guess in this forum's format there's no provision for making them available for download.
                      How could I get a set of the files?

• X'N
                      X'N commented
                      Editing a comment
                      John, we are talking about 2 different wing ribs here you understand that correct?

• John Massaro
                      John Massaro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      To be honest, I thought because of this thread being in the "LSA Plans Build" area of the forum that we were talking about LSA parts.
                      Thanks for pointing this out.

You can email me: Jfraine at comcast dot net The DXF files I have are for the 4 place. But as previously posted, I'd be happy to help you create the DXF file you need.
                    John, Naples FL
                    Patrol Plans #006

Comment

All the original files are still posted in the old Yahoo user group. You'll need to sign in, and on the front page under the emotional inspiring photo of Pat Fagan's campsite, click the word 'Files'
                      For the 4-Place Bearhawk, there are a few listings for the ribs in both DXF and DWG formats. The DXF for the spars is very interesting which includes the DXF files for the plates as well. As always, use these DXF files with caution. I'll cut out templates with my CNC machines and then match those to my drawings.

or just click here after you sign in.
                      Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                      John, Naples FL
                      Patrol Plans #006

Comment

• John Massaro
                        John Massaro commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The "Bearhawk - Old Group" is defunct from what I could tell and all that was held within it is now sealed for the ages.
                        I'd have liked to have had a chance to look at some of the files there, even if they were 4 place and Patrol oriented.
                        I figure you can learn from other information just like looking at things on other homebuilt sites.

The files are all still there. I just viewed them.
                      John Massaro, I sent you a PM.
                      I'll be happy to help you with creating the template in DXF for the LSA.
                      Last edited by Jflyer; 05-01-2014, 01:44 PM.
                      John, Naples FL
                      Patrol Plans #006

Comment

Working...
                      X