Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSA Rib attach angle rivet sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSA Rib attach angle rivet sizes

LSA dumb questions maybe - the plans are succinct - but you can't be too careful.

1. The rib attach angles are fastened to the ribs using MS20470AD3 rivets? (see attached)

2. Rib attach angles at stations #16 thru tip rib (where there is no cap strip) use MS20470AD5 for the top and bottom rivets? (see attached)​
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Frank; 04-21-2023, 03:31 PM.
    Frank Forney
    Englewood CO
    https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
    EAA Chapter 301

Frank, that’s how I read it. Hopefully someone who has the experience will respond.

Comment

Frank, Is there a cap strip on the back side that’s not shown in that view?
      scott

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        No, the cap strips terminate and then there are four rib stations with angle-web-angle contact.

Did you make the callouts in red or did Bob? I see no need for -5 rivets in those locations. The Patrol dwg has no specfic callout for those locations, however there is a "typ" callout noted for general attach angle to spar fastenings. I installed -4's at those locations. If Bob made those callouts then build per print.
      Gerry
      Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 04-22-2023, 11:56 AM. Reason: Changed "attach angle to rib" to "attach angle to spar"

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        I made the callouts in red, to confirm what i think the plans call for.

In the one case, "use AD5 full length of spar" is specified, so I guess that is unambiguous (even if unnecessary).

In the other case, AD3 is specified for rib stiffener angles. I think I am to assume that also applies to attach angles. But since the stiffeners are 1/2 and the attach angles are 9/16 and edge distance in the drawing is 1/4, I am just wondering if AD4 would be appropriate.

I'm trying to work this out with Bob via email but I screwed up the labeling so he thought the question was 426 versus 470, leaving the diameter question unresolved. Sometimes I can scramble up a simple question!

Hang in there Frank. Maybe a QB builder will chime in. A couple of pictures would solve the issue. If it's anything like the Patrol, all rib attach angles common to the spar with no capstrip, -4. C/T the ribs -3.
      Gerry
      Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 04-22-2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Frank,
        Here are some pictures of my QB wings. You'll see that the angle to rib rivets are AD3 as you said and the angle to spar web rivets are AD4 when no spar cap is involved. I included a picture of a bay with spar cap so you can see the rivet goes up to AD5 through the spar cap.
        David
        Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks David! That answers a couple of questions for sure! It is good to know AD3 is used to fasten the ribs to the angles, that was my main concern given the angles are sized to accomodate larger rivets.

So almost all of the angles are fastened to spar and rib using three diameters of rivet, not to mention the various lengths. Such a fun puzzle it is!

Again, I thank you for resolving this particular dilemma.

Here's a photo of my main spar slice area currently. I followed BTAZ's example and made a one-piece filler plate/rib spacer.

I've also started making blanks for the attach angles and a drilling jig for the AD3 holes.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Frank Forney
          Englewood CO
          https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
          EAA Chapter 301

Comment

Working...
          X