Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interior choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior choices

I'm getting close to having to make a decision about interior covering for my LSA quick build if I'm going to use fabric, but I'm considering no interior coverings to keep the weight down initially. Then, if I want to, just fabricating panels out of .016 aluminum and painting them. Doing that would allow addition of map pockets, etc. easily. I'm interested in what others are doing, or have done. Thanks, Bob

Point oh two eight Kydex weighs .197 pounds per square foot. I think that's lighter than .016 aluminum...it is lighter than .020". Flexible, doesn't ding easily or show scratches. Here's a few pics of what I've done with it on a certified I'm just about finished restoring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Very nice, Mark. Are you heat forming it? I used kydex for the headliner but didn't form any of it. Just cut-outs.
        Last edited by Blackrock; 12-23-2015, 02:27 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

That is much better than what I had in mind. I'm now researching Kydex. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrock
            Very nice, Mark. Are you heat forming it? I used kydex for the headliner but didn't form any of it. Just cut-outs.
            Heat formed where I couldn't use a leaf brake or bead roller. The Kydex likes paint....even krylon. The .028 needs beads in large panels to stiffen it up a bit.

Comment

Hey Mark,

I think I'm going to give Kydex a try. Need to place an order for material. Is the .028" material sufficient or should I include some thicker material with the order? I'm thinking I will go with half walls in the cargo area - bathtub design.
              Thanks too much,
              John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
              BH Plans #1117
              Avipro wings/Scratch
              http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

Bought the Kydex from CAC Plastic in Wassilla Ak. Rough service go with .040" light duty go with .028". I'm using .040" bath tub formed around the back like you said. The overhead and under the doors are .028". Front door post to the firewall is .040"

Comment

Comment

I've posted pictures of the pacer project on my Facebook page and a video of forming the Kydex. https://www.facebook.com/mark.moyle.39/videos_by
                    If the link doesn't work....go to videos

Comment

• John Bickham
                      John Bickham commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Mark. It must take a little while for the video to get from Alaska to Louisiana. Not seeing it. I'll check back later.
                      Appreciate all the pics.

Mark,
                    Very nice interior... I'm curious about the seat. Did you upholster the seat yourself or bought them fully finished? They look very nice and professionally finished. Some information and more pictures would be appreciated. I'm at the point of finishing up my BH-4 places and i've no experience in upholstery...need to find a good source for the seat covers.

Mike.

Comment

Thanks Mike. I did the seats myself. Purchased aviation leather and foam from an outfit in Ohio I think....Watched a few YouTube videos to get an idea of the design. Borrowed a friends walking foot machine....and the rest of the story....my mom would not allow me to leave home until I had learned to cook, manage my money and sew..... I actually made my sons clothing until he was four.... I'll look for seat upholstery pics.
                      Mark

Comment

Seat pictures.
                        The seats are very similar to Eric Newtons. Sure to sag springs... Covered the seat frames with medium fabric. Shrunk to 350 degrees. Then glued canvas to the fabric.

Then glued foam to the seat frame. Seat bolsters from thicker foam. Then covered with a bath towel to see how they felt. Electric carving knife and new disc on the grinder to shape the foam.

The seat panels are sewn to 1/4" foam. It's covered with a thin polyester fabric.

Comment

I did add additional foam across the top at shoulder level and 2" of foam for lumbar support.

Comment

Zippered pocket sewn to the back of both seats.
                            Last edited by Mark Moyle; 02-04-2016, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X