Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cap strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cap strips

I think the patrol needs 13 1 inch by 1/8 inch by 12 foot
    the patrol also needs 3/4 inch by 1/16

I think I can buy the 13 1 x 0.125 x 12 foot from air craft spruce for something like $300 plus shipping

The last I think I read somewhere on the forum was that the purchase of a sheet of 1/16 x 4 foot x 12 foot for about $300 was required.
    Did aircraft spruce cut it into 3/4 strips, and send the rest as a sheet for you?

I do not see any need for the extra 1/16, does anyone know what I might use the extra for?

Any recommendations. As far as I know there are no other patrol builders in the area. I sure would like them cut into strips for me by the vendor for that kind of money.

stan
    Stan
    Austin Tx

I purchased the strips from spruce. The shipping was about $175 alone for freight. I am not sure if spruce will cut it for you, I cut it with a circular saw and a good carbide triple chip blade. I used a track saw and cleaned it up with a file, Worked great. You could also get a sheet metal shop to cut it for a few bucks. There are a few other pieces that need the 1/16" material. If you do not find another builder, I am sure you will find a use. I am not sure what the thickness of the instrument panel is.
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

On a previous project I have had some long 2024 1/8" cap strips sheared to size by Mustang Aeronautics. It may be worthwhile to contact them for a quote.

Comment

John, If I understand it, you bought a 4'x12' sheet of both .125 and .063 and ripped your spar caps with the track saw? Just trying to decide what route I will take. Also "Chewie" does not live to far from me so we might be able to share a sheet and some freight. Both Aircraft Spruce and Wicks have the strips for the main spar but not the rear. You talked like you liked the track saw so I was thinking about putting one together.
        Anybody else with some other option ideas I love to hear them.

Doug
        Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

The track saw worked great. Took about 30 minutes to cut enough pieces for 2 planes. Hardly even needed to clean them up. QUick pass with a finishing file was all that was needed. I would recommend a good fine tooth carbide triple chip blade in good circular saw. You can make a good track with a a wider and narrower piece of MDF glued together. I posted a picture of that earlier on the chat somehwere. Ideally you would use a small spacer block to align the track to cut the same width every time and just clamp and cut away. You could probably cut enough for 3-4 planes and simply sell them over time to other patrol builders. I could not find any place to but 1/16" x 3/4" cap strips.

Also a good sheet metal shop might be able to shear all the sheets for about the same as a good carbide blade. I have used that carbide blade and track to cut ALL my sheeting also though.
          John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

John, you said "2 planes". Was the other Barry's?
            -Mark
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

Yes, I flew down to Barry's with the saw and track. cut them at his house and flew the pieces back home. I was sad to see barry sell his project

Comment

I know of no alternative to buying 1/8 cap strips from aircraft spruce. However, I think someone posted that they used 032 strips and doubled them up for the rear spar (in place of 1/16). I believe Bob is supposed to be at the Llano Tx STOL competition April 10,11,12. If I can find him I will confirm with him that he is ok with that. I am not thrilled with double the work, but I have no place to store a 12 foot sheet of aluminum - 063 can not be rolled.

My ribs are bent, need anodize and prime. Still trying to figure out how to bend the spar to the correct radius; have not found a brake. As I understand it the flap requires 10 foot brake. I did some sample bends using the technique in Bob's manual of sacrificial sheet metal to increase radius of bend - assuming I can find a brake, and assuming that the brake has a sharp edge. The results where not as good as I hoped.

p.s.
                Any suggestions of what pictures to take at the STOL competition would also be appreciated.

Stan timmerman
                Austin Tx

Stan
                Austin Tx

Comment

I was probably the one that mentioned that. I was planning on doing that but I did not. I talked to BOB and he OKed it.

Comment

Check out TW metals for your 1/8" if they have a location near you. I had my main cap strips sheared from them. Much cheaper than shipping from ACS. I also had Wicks shear me my 063 rear spar strips because TW could not source it. Be aware you will need to Pay for 1' width of material times the length & I picked them up for free at Oshkosh.
                    Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

I got my 1"x 0.125" cap strips through a local warehouse that supplies the welding and machine shops around town. (Alaska Steel). They were able to order them, and the 1/16" sheet for my rear caps along with their regular restocking order and saved me a bunch on shipping. Still wasn't cheap though.
                      Phil Schaefer
                      Patrol #073
                      Working on Spars

Comment

Working...
                      X