Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P156 progress photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P156 progress photos

Learn to love your router, guys. Snips are only for rough-cuts when it comes to rib blanks. Only route 3-4 at a time, depending on the metal thickness. Bend your flanges with your forms flat on the table so you can hammer in a downward motion, so it doesn't beat up your MDF forms too badly. Use the lightest dead-blow hammer that will do the job within reason. Make flanging dies, use the bob-stick at the 3 and 9 positions with the flange "up" and pull up slightly in those areas to flatten the rib. Try to avoid deep scratches in your aluminum as you work it, but don't panic if you happen to scratch it. Most things are fixable, and you can usually sand and buff out scratches in your t-3. I notice a lot of guys really getting wound-up about this, but you will be (hopefully) priming and painting anyway. Just make sure you smooth out the metal so you won't get any cracks and move on. There are planty of discussions on this, so my point is do the best you can. It doesn't need to be perfect, just somewhere between good-enough and perfect and it will fly. My press is home-made. Not an original idea but I added my modifications to make it work. These are all my pearls of wisdom for now. Mileage may vary.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eh009us; 09-23-2013, 01:27 PM.
    Patrol Plans #156
    Working on wing ribs and spars
    West Chester, PA

Pictures did not come through.

Comment

They should if you are logged-in. If that doesn't work let me know...
      Patrol Plans #156
      West Chester, PA

Comment

Are you guys able to see the pics when you are logged in and click on the links ? They work here but I haven't gotten any feedback...
        Patrol Plans #156
        West Chester, PA

Comment

Yes, they work, but I like thumbnails better. I take it you are using the attachment button instead of the photo button. I have not done any photos yet so I have no idea how they work on this site.
          Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Nice work. The pictures did not show in Taptalk, but do on the normal site
            Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I did use the attachment button, still navigating around the site. I'm not ultra tech savvy (what IS a spreadsheet anyway ?) so next set of pics I'll try another method. this site is already a vast improvement over the Yahoo groups.
              Patrol Plans #156
              West Chester, PA

Comment

I was able to see the pictures but had to click on each one to see it, and I had to be signed in.
                Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
                Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
                http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Ok. I don't really know how to do it otherwise. I'll figure it out next time I have some worthy pics.
                  Patrol Plans #156
                  West Chester, PA

Comment

Working...
                  X