Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery placement for heavier engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery placement for heavier engines

In the summer 1995 newsletter Bob suggests the batteries be placed behind the baggage compartment for the heavier engines. I am using a subaru auto conversion that weighs about 480 lbs. While talking to Bob sometime back he said I could put the batteries ( I will be using two, since this is an electrically dependent engine) under the front seats. I am a bit confused as to what would be the best place to put the batteries. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hari

Have you looked into the Lithium iron phosphate batteries? I have no direct experience with them, but they are very lightweight (~5 lbs.) compared to an equivalent traditional aircraft battery. If they truly last twice as long, it would make their total cost of ownership more inline with traditional batteries too.

Comment

Thanks mswain, but I already bought the batteries, so for now, will have to make do with the PC680 mounted on a platform behind the baggage compartment.

Comment

Working...
      X