Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rib attach angles (on the patrol in case the 4 place is different)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rib attach angles (on the patrol in case the 4 place is different)

I am 95% certain that when reading a spec for sheet metal bends, the interpretation is an outside to outside measurement. That being said, the patrol attach angles that connect the spar to the rib are made out of 032 - and as far as I can tell are 1/2 x 1/2.

Quite often I hear that builders are using 5/8 x 5/8 angles. I am not sure if I misunderstand the drawing; or if individual builders are more conservative.

Can anyone tell me where the 5/8 number comes from?

stan timmerman
    austin tx
    Stan
    Austin Tx

Some builders use/recommend the 5/8 x 5/8 angles instead of 1/2 x 1/2 to allow more room to work. The 1/2 x 1/2 angles give very little room for the bucking bar, but that is the spec per my 4-place drawings. I'm using 1/2 x 1/2, and wish I had a little more room for the bucking bar.
    Last edited by LukeS; 05-05-2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Like luke said. It is nice to have a little more room to work with. I made mine 5/8". Getting the bucking bar that close if tough and you have to be dead on to maintain your 1/4" edge margins on both sides. 5/8" or ever 3/4" will give you more wiggle room. The only downside I see is weight.
      John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I have access to an 8 foot brake and hope to get my spars bent this weekend. Their shear is not long enough for the spar but it might finish off the attach angles faster then doing them by hand.

I will start with the aileron. I think the first bend will be easy. It is getting that second bend that worries me. I will either come home with spars or a life time supply of attach angles.

Bob's patrol manual gives a formula for the blanks. The more detailed sheet metal calculations show his formula to be a little bigger then the more complicated calculation.

stan
        Stan
        Austin Tx

Comment

Working...
        X