Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing rib cutting block question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing rib cutting block question

My form blocks for the wing are done. I onto the cutting blocks. I question a technique that I am using though, and want your input. My method to make the cutting blocks that I used (I am using the router method to shape the AL) was to make duplicates of the entire wing master form block, with 9/16" of additional material around the outside of it. I then took these two rather large pieces and cross cut them on my table saw at each spar location. You can see the nose rib cutting block, and center rib cutting block. The result is I have a slighty shorter blank that is 1/2 the width of my saw Kurf at the end of each cutting block. I now question if that's okay. I sense that during assembly this gap will give work out just fine as the rib attaches to the spar with the attach angles. However, having never assemble a wing before I desire some feedback from those with more experience. We are at the point where it is easy to fix.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-15-2015, 11:05 AM. Reason: Clarification and Grammer
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I've never seen patrol plans, but if the spar is like the 4 place.....where the cap strip thickness varies along the length of the spar, you are fine. Some ribs you will need to trim (where the cap strips are thick, and out towards the tip you might have a gap where there are no cap strips....just the spar web.

Comment

Although I understand the factory uses a 3 piece tip rib, the plans call for one piece. You could figure a way to hold your 3 piece's of cutting block together to cut the 2 tip ribs, then separate them for all the rest. The kurf is not a problem, as mswain said, the rib lengths will need to be adjusted anyway.

Doug
      Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Tonight I finished making all my form blocks and cutting jigs from MDF. I have three boxes waiting to be opened from Spruce...its Aluminum sheet. The feelings are interesting. I have enjoyed the form block process, and like the results so far. It was straight forward, and the process greatly improved my skill set. I kind of wish there was more to do with the MDF.

Aluminum is an uncharted road for me. Will it aggressively spring out of the corrugated container like a jack in the box and sing something about a mulberry bush, a weasel, and a monkey, as it mocks me? Trying something new is a bit scary I suppose...but I'll call it an adventure instead. It tests and pushes me, and it's not always comfortable starting out. So, I will envision conquering uncharted territory in this next step.

I am figuring this being a 10 year project for me. I work on it in my time off, and don't let it get in the way of living. My plan is to build it simple, light and minimal electric if the LSA rules don't change before I get it done. If they change, it will have basic electric. I entertain debate between an O-320 or IO-360, w a fixed pitch Cato prop, or CS a Prop. And then there is the lean of peak - engine monitoring instrumentation that's all new since I last flew GA. (Once upon a time a WELL equipped Bananza has a single EGT + CHT prob.)
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
        X