Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lycoming O 320-B2B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lycoming O 320-B2B

Hey guys,
    I have a Tripacer sitting in my garage that is my next project. Here is my dilemma: I would love to use the engine and build a Patrol. I've been researching it a little bit and I see on the literature that they don't recommend the conical mount for the Bearhawks as they only support the Dynafocal mount. Is anyone doing a Patrol with a narrow deck i.e. conical mount engine? Looking for any info and would it be that big of a problem. I would really like to do something in the Experimental side since I already have one Certified aircraft. Thanks guys.

Seems like most Tri Pacer projects I see anymore are less engine and prop. You might be better off keeping the project together and finding a engine for the Patrol. If it's your next project, what good is it without an engine? If you remove the Tri Pacer engine and install in the Patrol, you'll end up searching for a particular engine for a certified airplane when it comes time to rebuild Lots of options for Patrol engines, not so much for Tri Pacer engines. I don't think I would do it. Don't know about the engine mount, but if that's a challenge, I definitely would not do it. Plus I like Tri Pacers.
    Cheers
    Gerry
    Patrol #30 Wings

Comment

Feels like narrow deck O320 A2B's are a dime a dozen. B2B's not so much. You can convert an A2B to the B2B 160 hp. If experimental....install 8.5-1 pistons. If certified. Longer cylinder base studs, banana plates, 160 hp cylinders. The crank needs to pass the 505B AD for the 160 hp. I know first hand...it's more expensive to convert a certified A2B to the B2B. Lycon stc is $250. Found used banana plates for $80. Traded in the -27 case for a remanufactured longer stud -39 case. 150hp millennium cylinders were used but require machining of the banana plates to fit the cylinder base flanges. 8.5-1 Lycoming N.O.S. Pistons can be had for $80 each. My A2B crank passed the 505B AD. Lycon supplied the engine bearings. $800 each for the cylinders....porting includes 5 angle grind on the seats. I ground the valves...Lycon installed new exhaust guides per my request...the guides with 258 hour were at max spec. Since experimental...I'd find a wide deck 320. Integral cams shafts are cheaper. Find a used oil pan to get the carb on the bottom. Cylinders are readily available. Save the narrow deck B2B for a PA22/20 conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• SC Patrol 253
        SC Patrol 253 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark, Thanks for your post. You answered several questions I have also had. Are you an engine builder?
    Working...
    X